SON Wall$treetBets

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

One thing I did is use this opportunity to set some limit buys in my "real" brokerage account. This is the money I'm planning to use for commissary when I'm in the old age home.

Please register in order to view this content

I'm only kind of kidding.

I like Apple as a safe stock. It's boring, but that's the point.  Iron Mountain as a dividend stock. Crowd Strike as a growth play. The first two I feel pretty comfortable just buying and holding long term.

• Members

Cool.   Will definitely do that throughout this thread. One type of stock that I really like to invest in is biotech penny stocks. They can be pretty volatile but if they hit, they can hit big.

I made some money with the penny biotech stock Novavax. This stock is now currently on Robinhood's limited purchases list. People are only allowed to buy one share of it. I started buying shares of this stock in March of last year around $9 per share. I bought some more as the price went up but my average cost is $18.16. I really didn't buy anymore after it hit $25 per share .I watched this stock continue to climb all throughout this past year. Today Novavax is currently $220 (and went as high as $228 today) a share.

I sold some shares last year when I wanted to move and buy new furniture. I sold at like $143 a share and a little lower than that. But I still held onto a few shares and I'm glad I did. 

I first found out about this stock I believe on the marketwatch forums (back when they still had them). I saw a couple of people discussing it and it's technology for it's flu vaccine called Nanoflu. The information sounded good to me so I decided to purchase a few shares. And then purchased some more. I never owned a bunch of shares but I had/have enough to make a nice profit. Especially for the amount I paid for it overall. 

The company also released their results on their COVID-19 vaccine yesterday and they are pretty positive. They have the best results overall of the vaccines and they have like an 86% success rate with the UK variant. Moderna/Pfizer haven't really released information about what their success rate is for that variant. They also tested the South African Variant, which wasn't as successful, but still more information than Moderna/Pfizer have released about how their vaccines work against the variant. 

I am reading up on other biotech stocks to see which other ones may have the ability to be successful and have a good climb from a cheap price. That's another thing I often check for when I buy stocks what is the projected upside for it over a period of time. (Usually at least a year). There are some sites that are good at showing those projections. One of them is CNN's busines site which I like to use for stocks. 

It's dangerous and he is doing all of that he definitely can't afford these high priced Gamestop shares and is wasting money IMO. 

Funny thing is, a few months back some investing sites were actually recommending people invest in Gamestop. (They also recommended Nokia and AMC, and I wonder if people saw those lists and that helped in their decisions to specifically target those stocks). They thought it would have a nice turnaround. This was back when the stock was like under $15 a share. I remember thinking about buying some shares back, then but I didn't. I remember the company having some bad press I think due to COVID, (maybe some sort of policy about their stores, I can't remember exactly what.) If I had bought it back then I definitely would have sold almost if not all of it the first day the Gamestop stock started going really crazy, because people were artificially driving up the price. I would have taken that money and ran lol. And I'm sure some people who bought in low did that. 

I do think that buying in at these very high prices like over $300 is a mistake. I don't believe what is going on with this stock is sustainable and at least as of right now, I don't really think things are that promising for the company. Some people are definitely going to lose a lot of money doing this.

Edited by xtr

• Administrator

You found a stock for $9 last March and now it's at $228?  I wish we had this thread back then! LOL  What other investment boards/sites do you go to?   I bought my one GME share at $339.

• Members

I had found out about that stock at marketwatch. I wish those forums were still around over there. I don't think they are. They had some very smart people over there who gave good information about stocks. I was fortunate to find out about Novavax there. That stock has been successful for me though I didn't own a ton of shares. I sold some shares and I was able to move to a better apartment and buy new furniture because of that. I was also able to build up my savings with the shares I have left. And some other people that got in early like I did (or even earlier) and bought a bunch of shares have probably become rich off of that stock, lol. It was even cheaper earlier last year at like 3 or $4 dollars in January. It's been successful because people really believe in their nano flu vaccine they are working on and now the COVID one that has had some good results. This was a legitimately successful penny stock that grew exponentially.

Some of the sites I like are investorplace, which will list good stocks to buy including cheap ones. And sometimes will tell what the upsides for the stocks can be for the year.

I also like to use us news and world report money website and Kiplinger.com There is also a site called pennystocks.com for people who are interested in investing more with pennystocks.

And Yahoo finance and their forums are pretty good. The Yahoo finance forums are places you can after you buy stocks to help track their progress and get insight from users who seem to really understand stocks.

I also like to google stuff like best cheap stocks for 2021 and that will bring up some good links.

Here's one from investorplace that suggests some cheap stocks people can buy with money their stimulus check. Or Tax Refunds too, lol. When I first started investing with Robinhood last March, I took some money from my tax refunds along with money from paychecks to start investing. Taking some money from a refund, if people can spare it is a good way to get started with investing.

8 Cheap Stocks to Buy With Your Next Stimulus Check | InvestorPlace

I already own stock in one of the companies on this list Marathon oil. That stock I think is one people could look at if they want an energy stock. It's cheap at under $8 per share and from what I've seen the upside for it could be as high as $14 this year. And I believe it could end up paying a small dividend like 0.03 per share.

And Ford is another one on this list that I think I will buy some shares in. It's under $11 per share and I keep seeing multiple websites say buy it. (Just like I saw multiple sites suggest buying stuff like Nokia and even Gamestop before the people on reddit artificially drove the price of it up.  Some analysts must have a hunch it will go up at some point. They are producing an electric car and that could eventually help drive up the price of the stock. That's a cheaper one that people could buy and hold. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

You're welcome Toups

Here are a couple of biotech stocks you guys can keep your eyes on if you are looking to invest in stocks from that sector. Dynavax (DVAX) is a stock that has been increasing nicely lately. A few days ago it was $6 per share, now it's at $10 per share in the afterhours. I have some shares of this and bought in at around $4. I will buy some more before the price goes up to high. I believe they may be working on a COVID vaccine (I think with another company) as well, so keep your eye on this stock and it's potential to increase. CNN business is predicting a high target of $20 per share over the course of a year, with a median target of $14. I wonder if it may actually go higher than $20 per share. It's possible.

Also, 9 Meters Biopharm (NMTR) is another very cheap biotech penny stock. I own shares of this stock as well. It's currently trading at like $1.49 per share, but is predicted to increase from anywhere to $3 possibly up to like $6 per share within the next year. So, this is another very cheap stock people could buy into and try and get some earnings off of:

Dynavax Announces Exercise of Option to Reserve Additional CpG 1018 to Produce 40 Million Doses of Valneva's Inactivated, Adjuvanted COVID-19 Vaccine Candidate for the UK Government (yahoo.com)

Why Dynavax Stock Is Skyrocketing Today | The Motley Fool

NMTR - 9 Meters Biopharma Inc Forecast - CNNMoney.com

Maybe people can make some earnings on them especially if you get in early while they are still relatively cheap.

Edited by xtr

• Members

I'm glad you didn't suffer a catastrophic loss due to only having the one share. Unfortunately, some people (maybe a lot) will probably suffer very big losses. IMO, This is just not a stock/business that people really believe in at the end of the day right now, and isn't really going anywhere anytime soon. The Reddit user who helped jumpstart the retail trading of GameStop lost a bunch of money today.

Reddit user who helped inspire GameStop mania says he lost $13 million on Tuesday, but is still holding on (msn.com)

I think that AMC maybe could rebound someday if anyone wants to hold onto those shares while they are relatively cheap. We may end up going back to the movies more frequently again once we get more people vaccinated and can get COVID more under control. AMC was one that some of the stock sites were saying to buy and hold before WSB tried to drive the price up.

Not sure about blackberry though I also remember that being listed on some of the sites as a buy. Maybe things will end up being okay for that as well. 

Edited by xtr

• Members

Yeah, I think momentum was lost with the RobinHood issues. That's too bad because it was looking pretty good until that happened. Back to my boring investments.

One thing I learned from this is how deeply traumatizing it was for children who's families lost their homes in '08. It makes sense, but I didn't expect this kind of widespread deep seated anger.

• Administrator

The issues with RH and other brokers' restrictions definitely stopped the momentum.

GME was definitely headed towards $500+.    They seemed to stopped the bleeding these last two days. 

I'm long on Blackberry.  I have 3 digit number of shares.