SON Wall$treetBets

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

7 shares of GME and 30 AMC?!!  Damn!!  I guess you're really hoping for the short squeeze to happen way more than I am.  LOL.  I was actually thinking of getting some AMC but I went with the one share of GME instead - I wanted to part of this.

Please register in order to view this content

I do have shares of BB though.   I'm excited for tomorrow.  I hope it will be a good day and if it is, next week could be really, really good. 

So I was wondering why/how GME went from $500 to about $110 so quickly and I saw people talking about a "short ladder attack" - it was a term I never heard before, and I found this article from 2014:  Anatomy Of A Short Attack: https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/11442671-gerald-klein/3096735-anatomy-of-a-short-attack

-------

Typical tactics include the following:

Flooding the offer side of the board - Ultimately the price of a stock is found at the balance point where supply (offer) and demand (bid) for the shares find equilibrium. This equation happens every day for every stock traded. On days when more people want to buy than want to sell, the price goes up, and, conversely, when shares offered for sale exceed the demand, the price goes down.

The shorts manipulate the laws of supply and demand by flooding the offer side with counterfeit shares. They will do what has been called a short down ladder. It works as follows: Short A will sell a counterfeit share at $10. Short B will purchase that counterfeit share covering a previously open position. Short B will then offer a short (counterfeit) share at $9. Short A will hit that offer, or short B will come down and hit Short A's $9 bid. Short A buys the share for $9, covering his open $10 short and booking a $1 profit.

By repeating this process the shorts can put the stock price in a downward spiral. If there happens to be significant long buying, then the shorts draw from their reserve of "strategic fails-to-deliver" and flood the market with an avalanche of counterfeit shares that overwhelm the buy side demand. Attack days routinely see eighty percent or more of the shares offered for sale as counterfeit. Company news days are frequently attack days since the news will "mask" the extraordinary high volume. It doesn't matter whether it is good news or bad news.

------

So freaking shady. 

• Members

Oh yeah. I'm planning to buy a little more tomorrow.  I can't stand these hedge fund SOB's. I used to work at a brokerage firm (lower level) and my husband still does IT for a market data firm. I wouldn't recommend being in these stocks with money you need. This could go either way and as a rule betting against the rich in this country is a mistake. I just revile these guys so much for their shady dealings that I don't care if my shares go to 0. They shall not pass.

• Members

I read a story this morning where a young man, I believe he is 22, wanted in on this event and took out a 2nd mortgage on his parents' house to invest $70k.  The price has dropped dramatically so he's now waiting, seeing, hoping and praying.  His parents have no idea he took out a 2nd mortgage (if he's not POA, not sure how this was even possible). 

This is a dangerous game to play!  

• Administrator

Many people don't believe this.  They're using the media to try and trick people to sell.   "Oh, they closed their shorts and the stock is not soaring.  I guess there's no short squeeze. I'm going to cash out now."    HOLD!

Please register in order to view this content

• Administrator

Did you buy more today?   Some of these stocks are my "entertainment/vacation money" that's just been sitting in my account because there's nothing to do and nowhere to go.  I have other stocks that I'm long, my real investments.  There's one I have that I really like.  The company is called Lightspeed POS (ticker: LSPD).  Last week I was up %100 but it's gone down a little bit this week, but I'm still up big.  To me, it could be the next Shopify. Their stock got hit in March 2020 at the beginning of the lockdowns and it dropped to $9 USD (they were in the 20-30$ range before March).  Now it's at $69.   Their next earnings report is coming up in February

• Members

Yep. 121% of the float is still shorted. That's what matters.

I bought more AMC. Will buy more GME if there is a ladder attack this afternoon, but with the price in the $300 I don't want to buy. There is too good a chance that one of the tricks these guys have up their sleeves will work. LSPD sounds good.

Good luck to everyone today!

• Members

I dabble in swing trading and in one day, several months ago, I made $1,700 off of one stock.  It can be pretty lucrative but time consuming (I do it at work...lol).  It's best to have a few accounts in different places because you are often selling and there's a 2 day settlement period that ties up the funds.  The downside is that even if you reinvest, the gains will be taxed.  

If you want to earn some money while we are stalled due to Covid, this is a good way to do it.  

• Administrator

I should've bought AMC when it went to $7 yesterday.  I missed that boat. 

In Canada, we have a thing called a Tax Free Savings Account, and you can open up a TFSA Trading account.  So any gains you make in that account is tax free (sweeeeet!!!).  If you invest in a stock on an American exchange, you only pay tax on the dividends.   That 2 day settle period sounds bad. I want my money right away in case I want to buy something else with it.  LOL.