• Members

It really was excellent.  And they just fit right in seamlessly.  Not since Luke and Laura returned in 93 has one of these returns been so seamless and also helped energize the whole show.  And Tony and Genie returned to a show that still had many more direct connections from the past still there and had not been gone as long as Angie and Jesse, and yet, seamless.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the Angie/Jesse return story had its issues, but the big reunion moment did not disappoint and they were essential. The stories for the family going fwd didn't all work but they were well worth bringing back, just like in the 90s, and paid dividends. I can't imagine AMC returning in any form without them.

• Members

At this point, it almost goes without saying but, the return of Anthony Herrera/James Stenbeck has to be the best execution of the return of character that I have heard, read about and seen. Kept totally under wraps, filmed on a closed set, the secret kept until the shocking reveal. To this day, when I see that episode, despite knowing what comes next, when James removes his hood and utters those famous lines, it never fails to give me a chill. It is not the first time a soap has staged a character's return from the dead but it certainly inspired many imitators, which is unfortunate, as most returns from the dead are usually cheap and clumsily executed. Returns from the dead have become a somewhat tired soap cliche since.

Now, you have an epidemic of soaps killing off characters just to try to 'goose' ratings, with no plan going forward. I think, due to Stenbeck's dramatic exit, it likely helped inspire an even more dramatic return.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Bringing it over here again for a second. Eastenders for a period were very good at returns of legendary characters, though in many cases, the long term stories weren’t all successes.

It can’t be overstated the excitement in 2005 when this happened.

Since 1990, the Mitchell Brothers added a new dynamic to Albert Square and drove much of the action and drama up until 1999 when Ross Kemp, portrayer of younger brother Grant, decided to move on.

Phil, played by Steve McFadden, decided to take some time off in 2003 and, save for a short cameo, stayed away until 2005. 

Their on-screen mother, Peggy, played by recently departed Dame Barbara Windsor, was being terrorised by local gangster, Johnny Allen and sent a goon out to harm her.

When the end of this clip occurred, the there were yells of joy. Literally.

• Members

OLTL- Todd Manning in 2000, Tomlin era Todd and the dead baby lie storyline and Blair shooting Max in the back was good comedy drama.

OLTL- Mitch in 2002 , it was good until it went off the rails with Mitch going blind etc....Mitch in 2012 for the finalie (where I first heard of him) was also fun. 

Edited by ironlion