LA County Urges Pausing Film & TV Productions

• Members

SAG-AFTRA statement dated Jan 3rd, so this is from *before* the article that Jason just posted

https://www.sagaftra.org/joint-statement-regarding-production-hold-southern-california

Also this same January 3rd SAG-AFTRA statement is here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sag-aftra-and-producers-guild-recommend-temporary-hold-on-in-person-production-in-southern-california

Statement from SAG-AFTRA president Gabrielle Carteris:

"Southern California hospitals are facing a crisis the likes of which we have never seen before.  Patients are dying in ambulances waiting for treatment because hospital emergency rooms are overwhelmed. This is not a safe environment for in-person production right now."

"Even putting aside the risk of acquiring COVID on set — a risk that we have done a great deal to mitigate through our safety protocols — on set production always poses some risk of injury, whether because of a stunt gone wrong, an equipment failure or a garden-variety fall.  Right now, with few if any hospital beds available, it is hard to understand how a worker injured on set is supposed to seek treatment," said David White, SAG-AFTRA's national executive director. "I would like to thank the JPC and the PGA for their efforts to reinforce safety measures for all, and we acknowledge and appreciate the major studios and other producers who have proactively stepped up and postponed their production during this emergency."

SAG-AFTRA also encouraged its members in Southern California to "stay home and refrain from accepting on-set employment for the next several weeks."

It added: "In the event that a Southern California-area SAG-AFTRA member is required to work during the next few weeks and has concerns about their safety on set, they are encouraged to reach out to the union."

--------------------------------------------------

My thoughts in general. I am glad the union feels this way!

And re: Carteris...

I love reading that Andrea Zuckerman is being sensible, concerned, and appropriately asserting what's right.  Because of course!

Edited by janea4old

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic