RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sanchez of Bel Air is the first series that comes to mind whenever I saw Santoni but I guess since it was so short-lived not many people remember this.  Looking back from a cultural context, it makes me wonder whether there were any complaints about an actor of European portraying what was essentially supposed to be a Mexican-American character, although I'm not sure whether the country of origin was made explicit during the series.

• Members

RIP to Santoni. I definitely associate him most with Owen Marshall: Counselor at Law, which is one of the many shows on YT that I need to make time to watch more of one of these days.

I did a lot of off-and-on watching of RHODA this past weekend on the Decades network, and it reminded me of how much I love Billy Goldenberg's theme song for the show. I went to look up some of his other work and learned that he passed away last week. Definitely one of the GREAT film/TV composers.

My favorite of his TV themes is probably Harry O. I've been in love with the variation of the theme that opens the first act of this particular episode for years.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

I am sad to hear about Billy Goldenberg. He wrote that gorgeous theme to Bare Essence sung by Miss Sarah Vaughan. I got to see him live in D.C. as he was Bea Arthur's accompanist in her traveling one-woman show, And Then There's Bea. They had a lovely rapport and I've seen him in other videos with Bea so I assume they were old friends.

Edited by SFK

• Members

I didn't realize he'd done the Bare Essence theme, too. Of course, I've only seen the miniseries, but all throughout, you had more great examples of the main theme being tweaked and rearranged for different scenes. In reading about his passing, I did learn that he and Bea were good friends for many years.

SFK, I know you'll feel this one the same way I did, but Raymond Allen, who played "Uncle Woody" on Sanford and Son and Ned the Wino on "Good Times," has passed away at 91. I know I've mentioned multiple times before how much S&S and its portrayal of common black folk have always meant to me. Every single cast member was just so funny that any time I hear of someone from the show passing away, I immediately think of my favorite bits featuring the character.