RIP: In Memoriam Thread

• Members

Michael was a lovely person and I cherish our early days on set in Baltimore. A certain rapper who I won’t even dignify by name has taken multiple opportunities to disparage Michael in life and even more egregiously in death, sweeping my image into his filth along the way, but what Michael, David Simon, and the writers of The Wire created in terms of LGBTQ characters of color for the audience at large is unequivocally untouchable and there is no degree of homophobia that will ever rob from that pop cultural contribution.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was finishing school in and around Baltimore in the last few years of the show as they were still filming. I had spent a fair amount of time in the city off and on as a kid, but didn't fully immerse myself in the show til a while later (though it did play on the campus TV network regularly). I still think it's probably the best long-form television series I've ever seen, only matched by Twin Peaks.

• Members

Constantine appeared on ONE LIFE TO LIVE in a brief part, Justin Aames. He was married to actress Julianna McCarthy (Liz Henderson Foster Brooks, Y&R, Primetime's Dark Shadows) until the mid 1970s. (found that in an article you posted, @DRW50) .

I don't know anything about the OLTL character, but he was a staple in so many 60s and 70s reruns I've watched over the years. Always enjoyed his work.

Uncle Rico on Joanie Loves Chachi-- and so many parts over the years.   Such a bummer to hear of these two favorites  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

@Vee Thanks for mentioning Norm. As a lifelong fan of SNL, there end up being too many comedians I was simultaneously torn between finding talented and also being repulsed by some of what they said and did on the show. That was probably truer for Norm than most, as that whole era of the show is very ugly, but he was a brilliant sketch performer and impressionist and writer, and was always a searing, one of a kind presence at a time that really needed it. Stuff like the sketch where Bob Dole (Norm) goes to live in the Real World House still makes me laugh, many years later.

I had not followed his career as much in more recent times, but saw him in some Youtube videos a year or two ago and didn't think he looked well. I had no idea he had cancer. I am glad he is now at peace. I was also glad to see Julia Sweeney (who was on SNL with him toward the end of her run and quit partially because of his behavior) say he apologized to her when they met for the 40th anniversary.  

This is a fitting farewell he wrote in his book: