Racism and racial representation on soaps

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Imagine how she feels.  She’s been treated unfairly by CBS, SONY, and Y&R for a long time.  And she’s not just advocating for herself.  

Even something as simple as makeup artists and hairstylists that understand how to work with Black and Brown people- they often have to bring their own people or do it themselves because those are union jobs on productions like these.  Changes are needed at every level.

Think about this- SAVED BY THE BELL was a more diverse tv show than any of these soaps now- Slater and Lisa were at least in almost every episode, and had varying degrees of being the lead.  But at least we saw them all the time.  And that show should not be better than a 2020 network daytime drama when it comes to this!

• Members

Victoria wants her job back. She’s probably needs money. I get it, but she’s also exhausting. She was willing to come back years ago without any changes, so I believe she mostly wants her job back because she doesn’t have any other work out there at her age. Why else would she want to work in a hostile environment? I hope she comes back because the show could use Dru especially because Lily and Devon doesn’t do it for me. I’m sure all her social media post will go away once she has a new contract with Y&R

• Members

Wrong. When Maria Arena Bell tried to bring her back, they wanted her to stop posting about diversity in order for it to happen. She refused so the return was canceled. She’s never been willing to return without real change.