Faulkner

Racism and racial representation on soaps

My heart goes out to you, @mikelyons. Having experienced this industry from the cable TV side as a black gay man and suffered similar indignities, a lot of your story hits home. So happy that you’re living your best life now. 

25 minutes ago, Faulkner said:

My heart goes out to you, @mikelyons. Having experienced this industry from the cable TV side as a black gay man and suffered similar indignities, a lot of your story hits home. So happy that you’re living your best life now. 

Thanks for sharing your message. It can be rough out there, but, somehow, one keeps going...

Edited by mikelyons

2 minutes ago, mikelyons said:

Thanks for sharing your message. It can be rough out there, but, someone, one keeps going...

Exactly, the “Sams” of the world can’t break us. Though they may try...

Thanks for sharing your experiences, @mikelyons. These stories are important to help highlight the systematic prejudice much of the mainstream entertainment industry still operates under.

On a side note, Promises sounds like a nursing home one might to go to live out their final days. 😄

Edited by BetterForgotten

@mikelyons A fascinating read to all your hardship trying to break into soaps.

I'll guess that your member friend here is Graybunny as he interned at Y&R. And the soap you are referring to that treated you badly is B&B. I am confused though..you were at two soaps or one?

Btw wasn't Lynn Martin another black writer in soaps?

4 minutes ago, BetterForgotten said:

On a side note, Promises sounds like a nursing home one might to go to live out their final days. 😄

That sounds quite apt for a soap in the 2000s.

The industry--it's all so abysmal isn't it, @mikelyonsI'm sorry you had to endure that soul-crushing experience. I felt exhaustion just reading it.  When you're fresh-faced and have all the exuberance and optimism in the world, you'd be surprised at how hard you will try to climb over an entire obstacle course.

When people talk about their desire to return to the way life used to be, I feel as if I want to say "why?" There are so many things that were wrong that have been exposed, why not make changes that would make for a more fair, just, equitable society in every facet of life? For anyone who may think that it would take a complete upending of existing systems, well, guess what? Systems have already been upended, why not work from that to secure a better society?  Even as I write that, I realize I'm fairly pessimistic about the prospect of that truly coming to pass.

In recent years there has been a movement to stop the unethical practice of companies benefiting from the work of unpaid interns.  It's basically wage theft, not to mention the fact that, many of those internships do not seem to lead to anything. I've done a couple of those myself and one very low-paid internship for a Tony award-winning Broadway producer.

Someday I may write about my personal experience with the micro (and not so micro) aggressions as well as the -isms that I faced as a black woman in different aspects of the arts and entertainment industry.  It's exhausting and too anger-inducing to even think about right now. But yeah, the entire creative industry is long overdue for a serious reckoning.

As negative as it sounds, I'm of the opinion that there is little chance of the soaps ever changing the way they do things creatively. This is an industry that seems intent to go down with the ship.  I have this image of Eric Braeden's character, John Jacob Astor in Titanic being the visual representation of how the daytime soap industry intends to go.

The strain of having to carry Ronn Moss' no talent @ss is probably what pushed Susan Flannery into retirement.  Antonio Sabato Jr. and Moss should be thankful that they had whatever time they managed to have onscreen because neither one can act worth a damn.  And as my older sister once told me when I was a little girl (about Moss), his right jaw is crooked, it doesn't look right.

10 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Btw wasn't Lynn Martin another black writer in soaps?

There have been a handful. Judy Tate, who worked at ATWT in the late ‘90s and 2000s, is another. Michelle Patrick worked on AMC and GH and I recall was an AHW on both.

2 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

The strain of having to carry Ronn Moss' no talent @ss is probably what pushed Susan Flannery into retirement.  Antonio Sabato Jr. and Moss should be thankful that they had whatever time they managed to have onscreen because neither one can act worth a damn.  And as my older sister once told me when I was a little girl (about Moss), his right jaw is crooked, it doesn't look right.

Add both recent Thornes to the list mama Stephanie would be disappointed in... 

1 minute ago, Faulkner said:

There have been a handful. Judy Tate, who worked at ATWT in the late ‘90s and 2000s, is another. Michelle Patrick worked on AMC and GH and I recall was an AHW on both.

A handful? Since the 1950s?!  That's disgraceful.

1 minute ago, DramatistDreamer said:

A handful? Since the 1950s?!  That's disgraceful.

Oh that wasn’t meant to be glib. Certainly it’s a disgrace.