The Black Lives Matter Thread

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"They said they came with shotguns, rifles and pistols to protect their downtown businesses from outsiders. They had heard that antifa, paid by billionaire philanthropist George Soros, were being bused in from neighboring cities, hellbent on razing their idyllic town."

And just where did these people receive this unsubstantiated information?  They received it from the same place where residents of other small towns across the country are receiving it.  They received it...from Facebook.

Social media networks were supposed to bring us into the 21st century, and beyond.  Instead, they're taking us back to the Dark Ages.

• Members

I think it is possible.  However, in order for social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to become a more useful tool in our daily lives, they need to put the needs and concerns of their users before their own wallets (and those of their advertisers and investors).

I don't care that Donald Trump is our current president, or that forty percent or so literally pray to him on a regular basis.  If the man disseminates false and dangerous information, or advocates violence against anyone, whether in this country or in another, then he and his account need to be sanctioned and/or taken down.  Same goes for anyone, regardless of political affiliation, who logs onto these sites and spreads garbage about bogus antifa uprisings, fake COVID-19 cures, anti-vaxxing "science" and everything else that has turned this nation into a intellectual and ideological wasteland.

There is freedom of speech that allows for the exchange of ideas, and then there is speech that just plain poses a danger to yourself and others.  It's that simple.

Edited by Khan

• Members

+ 1

My highlight this week still...and inspiration hit because I was really starting to fall into depression...was the kpop stans hijacking #whiteoutwednesday, #whitelivesmatter...with kpop clips, musics, wite out ads, and the like to keep BLM the focus...it was like a scene from HACKERS and motivated me to keep moving.