Jarhead

Emily

• Members

Anyone seen this? It's about war and stuff...Jake Gyllenhaal is in it, and he's pretty good. I'm not good at explaining movies..so here is a plot summary I found on it..

Jarhead (the self-imposed moniker of the Marines) follows "Swoff" (Gyllenhaal), a third-generation enlistee, from a sobering stint in boot camp to active duty, sporting a sniper's rifle and a hundred-pound ruck on his back through Middle East deserts with no cover from intolerable heat or from Iraqi soldiers, always potentially just over the next horizon. Swoff and his fellow Marines sustain themselves with sardonic humanity and wicked comedy on blazing desert fields in a country they don't understand against an enemy they can't see for a cause they don't fully fathom... Foxx portrays Sergeant Sykes, a Marine lifer who heads up Swofford's scout/sniper platoon, while Sarsgaard is Swoff's friend and mentor, Troy, a die-hard member of STA-their elite Marine Unit.

I kept and notepad and pen and counted how many times they said "[!@#$%^&*]" or "[!@#$%^&*]" or "[!@#$%^&*]" or "Fucked" anything that had the word [!@#$%^&*] in it...hahaha...

They said it 270 times... :lol:

But besides that, of what I saw of the movie, it was pretty good, not a bad movie. I might buy it..but there sure is some vulgar language...lol :lol:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I LOVED this movie...it's not all action - it's more pyschological look into a 'Jarhead's' mind and life...but it was so great. Great character development. The director of this movie also directed American Beauty and there are some similarities - which I loved bc AB is one of my fav. movies too!

• Members

Nope, he doesn't have sex in this movie...lol but yes, he's naked with a santa hat on his head and on his front 'area'..haha and they are all dancing around and acting like dorks..it's quite funny. :lol:

• Members

I heard about the language and nudity, so I can't reccommend this to my grandfather, who likes war movies. :lol:

I think I may wait until Brokeback Mountain comes out on DVD and get both of these at the same time and have a Jake moviefest or something.

• Members

LOL - nice to see you're not a strict, overbearing father when she's at 20. :) We appreciate parents like you ;)

Anyway yeah this movie is great - Love the director (American Beauty) - and I love Jake - and I love commaraderie (sp?)/military/character-driven type movies like this. It's good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived