LATEST RATINGS: June 24-28, 2019

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Based on the summaries and spoilers that I've read for Y&R these ratings are not surprising in the least.

The storylines are vapid and the actors that they've brought back are uninspiring, not even intriguing enough to get a bump in ratings.

Griffith and Morina may very well be out the door in the next six months but what about Anjelica McD?  I guess TPIR and The Talk are keeping her holding onto her job? 

Hasn't Steve Kent done a considerable amount of damage to the show as well?  What's the justification for him still having a job?

• Members

It's all in who you know, I guess; and Josh Griffith must know the right people.

What I want to know is, why return when you had a near-breakdown the last time you were there?  Was JFP the issue for JG, or was that "nervous breakdown" just a gambit to get him out of his contract with the show?

No one else at CBS or Sony wants their jobs, or even gaf about how badly they're doing them.  They're just waiting for the right moment to pull the plug on Y&R (and the other, remaining soaps).

Edited by Khan

• Members

Wow go B&B! Say what you want but it’s almost like watching a movie every day with so many twists and turns and excitement. Gotta give Brad credit for writing a real thriller. Although I hate what he’s done to a legacy character of Thomas this version of the character has made things very interesting. Now that’s a true villain like the soaps used to have! 

• Members

I agree with what everyone else is saying about Y&R. I feel the writing is actually good at it's core and Kristoff's send off showed what they're capable of if they try. The issue right now isn't that the storylines aren't interesting, it's that Adam (played by a fabulous newcomer) is the ONLY A story and is literally featured EVERY DAY. The bits and pieces of the other stories are interesting, but impossible to invest in with the limited attention they get. Then Kyle/Lola is your only other A story and it's become painfully dull. The biggest problem for me though is Chelsea's return. That was such a dud character and considering she's connected to the most important character, that means more screentime for that flop character.

They need to work on the balance of the show. As others have said, no matter how good you can't have a newbie lead your show. I do like Phyllis' return, but I feel the writing for her has deteriorated in her return. She's being written too light hearted considering what she's been through. Considering the ratings I wonder if they'll make any changes. Not saying they should fire JG but a co-HW could help.

• Members

It's especially strange that Steve Kent hasn't been replaced given Sony's history of replacing their executives, even those at the highest levels, if they are not producing gains.  This made me think that Sony is just not as concerned with their daytime holdings as they are with the other aspects of their entertainment division or their electronics division. If Kent were in any other division. managing any other entertainment property, he would've been replaced a long time ago.

For the past decade, I have got the feeling that Sony, CBS has been hedging their bets on Y&R but so far, it is still too much trouble to try to replace the soaps.  There has been an over-saturation of game shows, service shows and talk shows and those shows are really the only low-cost alternatives to soaps.  CBS is likely looking warily at ABC's daytime slot struggles and want no part of that.  A mediocre soap that seems past its prime yet still garners viewers is still a better bet than trying a show that could turn out to be The Revolution or The Chew.

• Members

Y&R - hopefully they see Adam isn't on enough and that's their major problem - the show needs more Adam. LOL 

And can't wait until these awful numbers pass to B&B - it's a cartoon.  I don't know why the slight spike but it's not any of the demos that matter and it won't hold.  Haven't watched either since last Wednesday or Thursday....and don't even care about any resolution to the dead baby switch/Hopeless/Beavis/Lame/Stuffy and who knows the truth and who doesn't.  The dialogue is so recycled I can't watch.

I remember just a couple/few years ago there would be discussion about Y&R hitting (or not) 5 million viewers and it happening a couple days a week.  Now they're reaching new lows week in and week out.  Well deserved.  

Edited by Fevuh

@khan Y&R is so wierd these days. It’s like Griffith wants to revisit 2013 and play out the stories he couldn’t write when he had his breakdown. Meanwhile, it is leading the show to its lowest viewership ever. The viewers have moved past 2013. Josh should move on. He won’t last long with these numbers. 

• Members

The show is actually watchable right now, mostly. But the Adam recast was a mistake. No one can follow Justin Hartley.  And Mark G. is a decent actor but doesn't have any of Justin's charm, sexiness or three dimensional acting.  They would have been better off recasting Chance first and focusing on cleaning up Mal and Sally's messes, building up the Chancellors.  They should have worked hard to get Eileen back on a regular basis. 

• Members

What r u

Please register in order to view this content

?  When did Justin become this great dimensional actor?....He wasn't even the best actor to play Adam. The show is watchable if you like pure boredom for your soap.

• Members

I’m sick of the show trying to make Adam happen as the new young Victor and I don’t care who plays him - but Justin Hartley made him likeable.  This Billy and this Adam I don’t want to see and hope they both die and take 3/4 of the cast with them. 

• Members

Thanks to Hartley, the show was able to savage the dark corner Adam had been put into and made Adam a viable character again for the first time since Engen was in the role. I do like Mark Grossman so far and was very interested in the initial introduction story but the writing has gotten so bad and illogical that its failing to make any sense and has caused characters to regress severely.  

• Errol unpinned this topic