Best UK/Non-US Soap Scenes

• Members

I've always been touched by the inherent sadness of Corrie's exists, especially the long-running female characters. Elsie's silhouetted stroll down the street as voiceovers play from her past gets me the most. 

The video cuts off but the slow fade in of the Corrie theme is just the icing on the cake.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Karen's (defeated and depressing) exit from Christmas 2004 also springs to mind, especially the use of the theme music at the end:

Dot and Ethel's last scenes on EastEnders:

Dennis dying in Sharon's arms:

Kat finally gets her Happy Ending for her first exit - her first arc was amazingly written and acted. Latter stints weren't written as well, but her first stint was magic for a character arc. 

Zoe's exit from 2005 - The "You Ain't My Mother" reveal was not just for shock, that story had a profound impact on both characters for those 5 years. The final goodbye between Kat and Zoe (which has since been ruined by hack writers) was touching and wrapped it up nicely at the time.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

The Pat and Janine scenes from Janine's 2004 exit. Charlie Brooks and Pam St. Clement were amazing together. It's not on YouTube, so here's a Dailymotion link:

The stuff with Stacey and Jean and the ending where Stacey looks into an old photo with her brother Sean before Julia's Theme starts playing. Stacey's early material was her best material IMO. 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Knots Landing had a good scene like that as well, when Valene moved back into their house on the cul-de-sac. 

Elsie's exit was so understated yet also unbearably sad, especially knowing Pat would be gone within a few years. 

Corrie had a real sense of melancholy for its first few decades, yet also had trust in viewers to not manipulate them the way that Aidan's suicide tried to do. 

• Members

Seeing the Rita and Bet "PALS?? PALS!!!???" scene on here reminds me that a few weeks ago when Rita learned Norris had sold the Kabin, she shouted "PALS???!!?" I wonder if it was an homage...

Anyway, I think this story is the finest EE ever told. I hated the 2017 revisit but at least it didn't ruin the original. 

(the Arthur/cop scenes in the above clip were very controversial, but they were honest - something EE of modern years rarely is)