Best UK/Non-US Soap Scenes

• Members

I loved @Edward Skylover‘s US soap scene thread, as it exposed me to some great stuff I hadn’t seen before. Are there any essential scenes from non-American soaps on YouTube we should see? 

The foreign soap I followed the longest was Hollyoaks. Eventually it got so grim and exploitative that I couldn’t stomach watching (ironic, considering my very first episode featured a bunch of body bags stacked atop each other after a pub fire that killed half the cast).

But, like many British soaps, it has done stylized death scenes very well, and few better than Sarah Barnes’s demise after her parachute is sabotaged on a skydiving trip. It’s absolutely chilling and terrifying with the music as she plummets to the ground with a cruel thud.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Good idea for a thread @Faulkner. I can probably think of a lot of Neighbours & Home and Away ones.

In fact I know of millions of Neighbours ones. Unfortunately a lot of them won't be on YouTube but I could upload some in future and post them.

This is a really good character-driven set of scenes involving Karl and Izzy. Some of Neighbours greatest scenes IMO.

I've earmarked the exact time this video all kicks off for ease of reference for you, but you could watch it all if you want:

(apologies for the poor picture quality)

This scene is in the absolute golden era of Neighbours: 

This is probably one of the greatest soap scenes of all time IMO:

LOVE THIS:

Sorry I know that's a lot. If you have any Neighbours questions, feel free to ask. And enjoy

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

All of Emmerdale Farm/Emmerdale from 1972 to early 1994..... 

Please register in order to view this content

Joking aside, the final, fatal confrontation between Kim and Frank Tate springs immediately to mind. The final scene is one of the most iconic in British soap history

More Emmerdale...

The death of baby Daniel was harrowing, and Charlotte Bellamy gave a phenomenal performance

It starts at ca 17:00

• Members

I don't have a problem with Neighbours at all. I just didn't really have any clips of it. 

That fantasy with Susan and Janelle is hilarious. Susan is the epitome of a stealth bitch - it's much more fun to see a moment where she's just out and proud.

• Members

Peggy, Pat, and Frank...for my money it doesn't get better than these three. Dame Barbara Windsor's slaps were real, and she was standing on an apple crate so she'd reach both them (you'll notice she falls off after slapping Pam St. Clement). 

And Peggy at Den Watt's funeral. Another absolute favourite of mine. 

And this shocker. The festive Indian music in the background builds to silence and a shocking reveal:

• Members

I have to post two clips (and if I can find or make a few more I will post those too) of a woman I consider to be one of the finest actresses I've ever seen - Eileen Derbyshire. 

In this one, her character, Emily, slowly realizes that her fiance can no longer marry her now that he knows she'd once had a breakdown. It is a superb scene that you would never get on a soap now. 

Emily consoles young Adam Barlow after his mother's death. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

The death of Martha Longhurst. Such a harrowing scene - and one that caused outrage with viewers. The arrogant producer claimed he did this so that the actress could find roles elsewhere, but she went on to say that she was so typecast as Martha, she rarely did.

Ena, who chose to keep the news from her daughter she she had a terminal illness, quietly falls apart, with only pub landlord Jack Walker there to comfort her. A superb performance from Violet Carson, and material handled so much more maturely than anything trash soaps could bother with now - no emo woe montages, no film school editing tricks, no cheap melodrama.