LATEST RATINGS: August 13-17, 2018

Toups

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

lol. You always seem to make DAYS seem the worst in the ratings 

Please register in order to view this content

All the soaps are trash right now. Ratings are reflecting the trash. DAYS though, was pretty awful up until just two weeks ago, so I'm not surprised. I stopped watching for two months.

nope

stick a fork in the soaps. they're done.

• Members

Likely because they had a variety of teens and seemed to really do a pretty decent job of it with them for a while. I know they also got lambasted for the invasion but it's one of the few times I've truly enjoyed a teen scene. Susan (the overweight teenager), Jan, Cynthia, Jason, Kevin ... plus solid additions in Chloe, Philip, Shawn and Belle, as much as Storms got on my nerves and as much as I was annoyed Philip and Belle were now Shawn's contemporaries, but it made sense at the time considering all who was on the canvas.

DAYS was often the winner of the short-lived TV Guide Awards. It was a pop culture popular show in the 90s and early 2000s. (I think it helped Joey on FRIENDS was tied into DAYS)

Were OLTL and Y&R the last soaps to get primetime episodes? Were they both 1998? It seems after that, soaps all went downhill and while some managed to get through it better, we've all been worse off.

Something happened with the quality of soaps somewhere between 1996 and 2000. We've really never recovered.

• Members

The networks thought that they knew how to manage the shows more than the creative people working on them.  Every show became micro-managed to death.  They stopped developing new talent for the next generation of soap creative people, and the best ones producing work were systematically fired or driven away from soaps.

In the early to mid 1990’s, you had creative highs on nearly every soap on the air.  Then ratings had fallen because of things like OJ and the emergence of a 24 hour news cycle about one or two stories, Court TV, etc.  Instead of recognizing that a 7.0 to a 4.0 was the new norm for a successful soap, they panicked and tried every trick in the book to get back to 9.0 to 5.0 ratings points.  I loved some of those tricks, but in hindsight, they were almost all destroying their shows.

As the numbers continued to go down, the network people kept hiring folks like Guza, McTavish, Pratt, Brown and Esensten, Goutman, Higley, Tomlin, JFP etc because they knew how to craft a good document to excite execs, and or to produce cheaply or both.

Now that all of network television has seen their numbers dramatically lower, it has finally caught on that those numbers from older days are never coming back.  They still micromanage their product, which is why so many of the best of them in primetime have headed to Netflix and cable where they have to deal with budgets, but very rarely are they getting creative notes on their material.

• Errol unpinned this topic

Archived