The Aretha Franklin Thread

• Members

I avoided that coverage because I know full well how it would be covered regardless of whether the event occurred with or without incident.

I watched a good portion of the actual service (again, I missed the eulogy) and the eulogy comprised a brief portion of the comments on my social media, at least.

It also depended on which hashtag you followed also, as I understand there were two:  One was entitled Aretha Franklin Homegoing which had a very different tone and emphasis than the one entitled Aretha Franklin funeral. 

Only in America can social media have segregated hashtags that highlighted two completely different aspects of the service. 

Again, I don't expect U.S. mainstream media to highlight anything but the negative, especially when it comes to black folk.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Have you ever heard the version that Nina Simone did?  

I would say that both have elements of soul-- Nina's cover came out a few years before this one and it seems like a groovy version infused with elements of spirituals, while Aretha's version is steeped in blues with elements of gospel.  

Enjoyable versions both.

• Members

I actually think that when you listen to Simone's version it is in keeping with the sound of a lot of the more mellow sounds of the late 60s, kind of groovy, kind of funky, like the Fifth Dimension, some Sly and the Family Stone, even some early little Stevie Wonder tunes.

Nina's music will always stand out but it definitely seems to fit within the pantheon of some of the music of that era.

• Members

I love Nina Simone's music!  The compilation sets of her music have yet to do her justice though.  I have two different "Best Of Nina Simone" music sets and neither have all of her most important songs but one has a beautifully indulgent arrangement of "Black Is The Color of My True Love's Hair" on it, so I can't be too disappointed in the selections on that particular CD.

• Members

The mention of the Clark sisters made me look up the performance. 

I first saw this when Wendy Williams brought the wrath of the "saints" earlier this year. It's pure electricity. 

(I guess their other sister no longer performs with them)

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Denise ("Niecy") hasn't sung with them since the eighties. They faced a lot of backlash from COGIC in the eighties when they gained a lot of commercial recognition and success. Niecy had kids out of wedlock, apparently that's the reason why she split as judgmental eyes from the organization fell down upon her. Similarly, their mother, Mattie, was criticized for singing with them on the Grammys as she was the head of COGIC's music ministry. Essentially, just a bunch of b.s. from power bent fake ass Christrians always trying to keep talented women under their thumbs, meanwhile they're sleeping around impregnating underage girls and sweeping it all under the rug... blah... don't get me started...

• Members

Thanks.

That's a shame. And sadly typical. They were a real force in those clips - they have still done well for themselves (and I know it isn't about commercial success for the sisters anyway) but it's unfortunate they got such criticism. And it seems like black women are the ones who get the "sold out" criticism the most.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The Aretha tribute at the AMAs was filled with good performances (Gladys’s “Amazing Grace” was moving and Ledisi and Mary Mary were wonderful and energetic), but it was an odd fit for that particular show. Almost every performer lip synced tonight before the Aretha medley, which felt extreme even in today’s pop music scene.

• 4 weeks later...