Sign in to follow this  
Faulkner

The Aretha Franklin Thread

By now, we’ve all heard she isn’t well, and I know there are many fans here, so I thought it would be appropriate to start an appreciation thread.

During college, my friend and I would lounge around in my dorm and just soak in every track from her 30 Greatest Hits double CD. Other than Songs in the Key of Life, I don’t think there’s an album I’ve played more. My favorite song has always been “Angel,” with its spoken intro dedicated to her sister Carolyn and its almost unbearable sense of longing and loneliness.

RIP - she was trailblazer and influenced many.

However, as I noted before, I wish she hadn't been as miserable of a person in her latter years, and was confident in her legacy rather than trying to bring other black female artists down. 

Thankfully, she left a treasure trove of classic soulful songs and performances.  

Life isn't easy and neither was Ms. Franklin.

I heard that it was pancreatic cancer about two years ago, at least.  It would appear that this was the undisclosed illness she was dealing with.  Surely, that toughness (and yes, that saltiness!) helped sustain her and perform practically to the very end of her life.

She was tough and I'm sure she fought to the bitter end.

R.I.P. Queen.

Here's an interview she gave a few years ago which sparked a few timeless memes, and is Aretha in full flow. 

2:30 - 3:13 = the part where amateur/karaoke singers embarrass themselves trying to imitate the Queen.

This is funny:

Edited by Faulkner

Ha! Speaking of Patti, this clip from Oprah’s 40th birthday special with Aretha, Patti, and Gladys as guests has been making the rounds: