Old TV clips - misc.

DRW50

• Members

I recently found a Youtube channel that has a ton of old content - a grab bag. Rather than keep putting it into various threads I thought I might just put some links here.

This has a lot of the 1974 fall preview for CBS, including some interviews with the people behind Planet of the Apes and Rhoda. 

This is a cute, dumb little show that has Lee Majors guesting as himself and Steve from the 6MDM (and Fred Willard in his sketch comedy days also makes an appearance).

Greg Morris, Carol Burnett, and Arte Johnson remind us of the dangers of drugs (a bit sad when you remember Carol's daughter), interspersed with some commentary from the yoof of 1970.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm a subscriber to this channel too. Thanks for creating a thread about posting old TV clips. I love going back in time and watching all this stuff. I just recently watched a 1978 Superstars special on another channel where all the popular athletes of the day competed against each other like Steve Garvey etc...I also like all the Battle Of The Network Stars specials. If it were not for people sharing their collections, most of this stuff would never see the light of day again and be forgotten. VCR's were pretty common in households by the mid 80's, but to see stuff from the 70's on home video recordings amazes me. Most people taped over stuff since tapes were expensive back then.

• Members

Here is the first day of ESPN in 1979. Stephen Shortridge (ex -Dave B&B) is in the commercial for Racquet Club cologne at 9:42 and John Forsythe does the voice over for Michelob 34:04. Stephen was in the episode of Toni's Boy's the proposed spin off of Charlie's Angels. 

Edited by SoapDope

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

If you have a few hours to kill here is a Bernie Barrow TV-movie from 1981, Senior Trip, with the good and bad of that particular era:

- gorgeous NYC shots

- Scott Baio

- various soap alum who probably deserved better (James Carroll, Randy Brooks, Julia Montgomery)

- Faye Grant of V fame

- the "I'm not going to charge you for sex because you're a sweetie" trope that I'm sure sex workers love

- vile sex pests getting kicked in the balls

- pseudo-spoken word/"inspirational" songs with word salad lyrics

- talented actors who would soon die in their prime of life 

- a story of grooming and predatory behavior from a gay man that is so insidious and shameful I am reminded of just how severe the homophobic backlash of the late '70s and early '80s was.

- a Mickey Rooney cameo 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I'd never seen Sandy Hill before. Nothing against her, but she bugs the hell out of me on this. I can see why they replaced her with Joan Lunden, even if I was never a huge fan of her either.

I'm glad GMA eventually got rid of the audience laughing and clapping at in-house comedy routines...

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Rick Thomas put up an episode with her. I can't say I was thrilled there either (although she was decent enough on Too Close for Comfort) as she seemed to be trying a bit too hard to be cute, but she was better.

I have to admit I zipped past a lot of the Reynolds interview. It was so bizarrely serious for somebody who only became popular because of trash movies. I did laugh at the part where he was talking about his hair. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Me too on BR interview. He comes across so sleazy/seedy. The stuff that came about him when he was married to Loni really told the true story. There is a 1978 clip of him on the Mike Douglas show posted where he is infatuated with Kristy McNichol and it is uncomfortable. They had just done the film The End. She sings her latest record He's So Fine. 

• Members

The part where he talked about the books he reads and how it takes him longer to read more serious books like Shogun - it felt like a parody.

Did you ever see his SNL hosting gig? I remember the sketch they wrote where he was going to the home of a high school girl and taking her out. I guess they were playing up on the skeevier elements (not that he did that, obviously).

I didn't know she ever sang that song. It's one of my favorite songs. I listened to her version. It - well it could have been worse.

I saw an Oprah WATN clip of Jimmy from 5-6 years ago. He didn't look that bad...

• Members

Imagine that today...

(I don't hear any actual reggae...)

The bits I've seen of her solo show are always interesting. I wish it had been a hit. I don't care for Sonny.

Edited by DRW50