Stars unable to have lightening strike twice

Soaplovers

• Members

"Too Close for Comfort" was lousy enough to hamstring anyone's career, I think.  It's just unfortunate that many actors who DO appear on crap sitcoms often find it difficult-to-impossible to crawl out of that gutter and into more quality work.

I know Ann Jillian has been on several series -- "It's a Living," "Jennifer Slept Here" and, of course, "Ann Jillian" -- but as with Morgan Fairchild, I feel like AJ is known more for being AJ than for any particular role.

As a comedienne, Delta Burke was/is surprisingly good.  However, I think that it has been difficult for her to shake off the "fat jokes" as well as the stories of tension among her and her husband, Dixie Carter and Hal Holbrook, and Harry and Linda Bloodworth-Thomason.

Farrah, Jaclyn, Erik and Larry all have (or had) the same thing in common: they are all associated with iconic shows from the '70's that people even back THEN thought were cheesy (and, in the ladies' case, mildly exploitative).  The ladies have been smarter about parlaying their fame (or infamy) into other work, though.  Jaclyn became known for a time as the Queen of the Miniseries (not to mention, the Queen of Kmart, thanks to her lucrative clothing and fragrance lines), while Farrah was upended a lot of people's misconceptions about her with her work in "The Burning Bed" and "Extremities."  Still, out of all the original "Charlie's Angels," Kate Jackson's probably the only one who managed to get another hit series.

Yep.  Although, to hear HER tell it, working on 3'sC with Nicholl/Ross/West was such a bad experience for her that she deliberately avoided working again in television, or anywhere else, for a long time in order to separate herself from the feelings of acrimony and betrayal.

Speaking of...?  I'd probably add John Ritter to the list, if only because most, if not all, of his post-3'sC series never lasted long, and he seemed to have better luck with guest shots and TV-movie work.  Of the post-3'sC shows, "Hearts Afire" ran the longest, barely lasting longer than "Hooperman," but does anyone really consider that show as being successful?  And even though he died just 30 or so episodes into "8 Simple Rules," I don't think THAT show would have fared any better either.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kirstie Alley didn't get a successful follow up sitcom, but she did win an Emmy in the mid 90s in a dramatic role and ended up playing in more serious roles in the 90s/early 2000s.  And I actually think her weight problems actually made her get a unexpected lease of fame with a reality show detailing an attempt on losing weight (I still recall her reaction to her personal trainer wanting her to climb a bunch of stairs and her trying to run away... comic gold LOL).

Julia louis D actually had The New Adventures of Old Christine which was a decent ratings hit and netted her an emmy.. and was loads funnier then Veep.

• Members

Brain fart, but I was focused on her post MTM career. Other than Ordinary People and that failed show with her as an editor or whatever, it seems like she just faded away. Granted, she had personal and health issues, but it seems a shame. 

• Members

Harry Anderson, Markie Post, their CBS sitcoms did last a couple years but never even touched achieved the success of Night Court. 

Tracy Scoggins. I love her but she never was able to stick around permanently to any show after The Colby's and Dynasty. 

Sally Struthers

Valerie Harper

Julia Duffy

Luke Perry

Benjamin Bratt

• Members

I feel as though most TV stars can fall into this category. There are more than a few who found success on multiple series, but so many people are associated with just one role, or maybe one long-running, high profile role and one role not as well-known but still mildly successful.

• Members

You're right. I think this started out as a kind of one-shot wonder kind of post, and veered off. But is is interesting to ponder why some people seem to disappear, while others maintain a steadier presence on the screen. I mean...do people realize Mark Harmon's been nearly steadily employed since the late 70's? 

• Members

Man, that's a hard question.  Mark Harmon's had significant, well-received roles on Moonlighting, St Elsewhere, West Wing in between heading series Flamingo Road. Reasonable Doubts and NCIS. Not to mention that TV movie playing Ted Bundy. (and I don't think he gets the respect he deserved for his early NCIS' work)

• Members

It was easy for Lucille Ball to have as many hits as she did, because she essentially played the same character on all her shows.  (Her last, "Life with Lucy," flopped primarily because she looked too old and frail to be doing her trademark physical, slapstick comedy.)

But there's also Betty White, who has "Life with Elizabeth," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," "Mama's Family" (to an extent), "The Golden Girls" and "Hot in Cleveland" all under her belt.

• Members

I've always idolized Larry Hagman for starring in a classic sitcom and a (the?) classic primetime soap.  Beatrice Arthur also struck gold (oof, I swear to G-d I didn't do that on purpose!) with Maude and The Golden Girls.

• Members

Lorne Greene had long term success with Bonanza but Griff, his follow up lasted half a season. Then there was Battlestar Galactica and Code Red, neither big hits. Viewers loved him as Ben Cartwright...

Mike Connors  Mannix then one season of Today's FBI.

James Arness - Gunsmoke  then   McClain's Law

Archived