TV Character's that got the worst(or no) exit from their series

dragonflies

• Members

Cathy was shown a few times afterward - working in the hospital, and becoming close to BJ (the Kavi Raz character who by that time had been put on recurring and was being phased out). Her last appearance was a cameo in the season 4 finale which was mostly about the absurdity of Fiscus trying to open some bricked-up door. She walked by him, looking gorgeous and acting flirtatious, like the old days. 

Not much of an exit, but at least she made it out alive, I guess.

Cathy is one of my favorite TV characters of all time. I wish that her scene after her second rape was still on Youtube - the one where Shirley (guilt-ridden because she had previously belittled Cathy for claiming to be raped because she was sure Cathy had "asked for it") visited her, and she said something like, "Don't worry. No one can ever hurt Cathy again," leading Shirley to collapse into sobs (and leading her to gun down Pete, whom she mistakenly thought had returned to raping women). The scene gives me chills in a way only St. Elsewhere can. 

Indeed. It's still amazing to me that by season 4 they had either lost every female character, or turned them just about unwatchable (Helen Rosenthal). Quite a feat. The only positive of this is it meant a steady rise through the ranks for Lucy Papandrao and Jackie Wade.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ADA Rafael Barba (Raul Esparza) got a HORRIBLE (and out-of-character) exit from SVU last week. It was Raul Esparza's decision to leave, but after the writers have neutered and watered-down the once cocky and flashy Barba, I can understand why. Still, what a waste of a dynamic actor and character. At least they didn't kill Barba off, but he'll never be a prosecutor again.

• Members

In the complete MF DVD release Vicki said that after being cancelled by NBC and then picked up for syndication.....the writers felt that Sonja and Buzz weren't interesting enough to be on the show. They were looking for the hunk quota with a little bit of goofiness...that's where Bubba came in. They wanted to change up the show a bit after being canned by NBC. So little to no mention of them was present when the show began airing in syndication.

In the same interview I mentioned above..... Vicki said she had a falling out with Carol. Carol became bitter after her divorce and felt betrayed by Vicki because she had moved on with the MF reboot with her ex running the show and without her. She felt that Vicki was choosing sides when that wasn't the case.

• Members

Wait, what?  He LEFT SVU?  Well, [!@#$%^&*].  There goes my last reason to watch.

Well, I can't say that I blame 'em.  Buzz and Sonja's creation were CLEARLY a network mandate.  In their minds, they probably thought the two would draw the teen audiences.

I, too, had heard about the reasons why Carol Burnett never participated in the syndicated episodes.  But, you know, watching those episodes, I don't ever feel like the show is lacking something without her.  Say what you will about the writing, but I think they had a pretty tight ensemble with Vicki Lawrence, Ken Berry, Dorothy Lyman, Beverly Archer and Allan Kayser.

• Members

Yeah, Vicki mentioned that the writers hardly wrote for Buzz and Sonja and sometimes she forgot they were even on the show.

Yes, it was a nice cast with the addition of Beverly Archer as the new neighbor.  I thought Allan Kayser's Bubba was a better fit than Eric Brown's Buzz too.

I was surprised she didn't return for Bubba's graduation. But after what Vicki said it made sense. The episode was actually better without Eunice in it. It showed what an unfit and uncarrying mother she really was by not showing up to his graduation and why Bubba was such a misfit when he first moved in with Mama.

• Members

I tended to prefer Fran, Buzz and Sonja mostly because I thought it made the writers work harder on the comedy. Bubba and Iola meant that the syndicated version leaned heavily toward caricature and one-note material, which made a lot of the episodes less compelling or funny to me. Not even getting into what they did to Vint and Naomi.

• Members

Vicki said both Rue and Betty were written off because of The Golden Girls. Vicki said she wanted them to continue on her show but it wasn't possible so they wrote Aunt Fran's death. I think Betty appeared in one or two episodes in syndication.

I thought the syndicated version resembled more of Mama's Family from the original Carol Burnett Show than the NBC version. I found the NBC version rather dull/dark and not as funny. JMO of course.

And I never cared for Sonja. I could take Buzz but he wasn't used at all.

• Members

"Mama's Family" itself was caricature and one-note.  I mean, come on: whether it's on the network or it's in syndication, it's still Vicki Lawrence cracking wise for thirty minutes, while running around in Ret Turner's "old lady ensemble" of blue wig, cheap pearls, and waaaay too much padding.  The show was never going to be Witt/Thomas/Harris.  Ergo, with each episode, you go in knowing what to expect.

Archived