GH: Has GH cast .... as a former character?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cady McClain?!?! Hahahahaha

Assuming this is true anyway. Lots of people with no friends or hobbies like to make things like this up. We'll see. But if it's true, at least she's entertainingly bad. Others (Howarth, Easton, Stafford, Hayley Erin, Bryan Craig, Ryan Paevey, "Spencer" and others), along with the heinous writing and 'stories', make me wish GH was never created.

• Members

I will always have a soft spot for her first round at AMC as Dixie.  And I thought she was fantastic as Rosanna for her first couple of years. But other than those two periods of time she is kind of bland to me.  Just another competent soap actress but nothing special.  I'd rather if we are giving out jobs to former daytime actors that we give them to the truly special ones that had spark.

• Members

I feel like Cady McClain suffered from going out into the world and trying to "improve her craft," as it were.  In many aspects, the freshness and ease that had marked her earliest work evaporated and was replaced with what she THINKS is more nuanced characterization but is actually the kind of neurotic and overly mannered stuff that continues to drive me cray cray about the late Sandy Dennis' work.  (Same thing with Genie Francis.  She never was the same once she moved to New York and started working on AMC and in theater.). Nevertheless, I'd still welcome her to GH or to any soap, because she still tries to make the work appear interesting on-screen at a time when, quite frankly, even some of the once-storied vets appear to be on autopilot.

• Members

Khan what do you mean about Sandy Dennis? 

I think improving your craft can be a great thing, but characters need to feel real and not over-performed. For me with Genie Francis, from watching clips I think she disassociated from the material. 

I have no issue about Cady McClain as an actress in general. The only problem is with someone like her being hired is I'd see Cady before the character she was hired to play.

• Members

I love Cady and I'm always happy to see her as Dixie, but she often tries too hard and has for awhile.

She was a complete revelation as Rosanna on ATWT at first - so unlike Dixie - and I was amazed by what she did there in the early 2000s. She was incredible. Later, she tried to bring more of Rosanna to Dixie on AMC and it didn't quite come off, though I was a bigger fan of it than most people. I empathized with her trying to grow and strengthen the character, much like Genie Francis wanted to play stronger characters, but the execution was very iffy. Her later stints on ATWT were largely dreadful and showed a lot of that silliness.

I was happy when they brought Dixie back, and I think she should always be part of AMC. I liked her on the reboot, though I do think she was a bit too hippy-dippy sometimes - I took it in stride because it was Cady doing Cady and it wasn't alien to the character, it was just sometimes laughable trying to watch Dixie pretend to be a therapist. Kelly on Y&R, OTOH, was absolutely dreadful, especially at the end. I love her but Cady needs decent writing and sure direction, otherwise she will go apeshit.

Archived