DAYS: The returns begin for the 50th

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know I was surprised to see members on other boards clamoring for her return. Like others here posted, she was stuck in a storyline that had Belle two years out of high school aged way too much (especially since she was supposed to be younger than Shawn by several months--KS's Belle celebrated her 18th birthday after they already started college). I watched regularly when JC and KS were Shawn and Belle and less so when MM and later BB were on board so my memory isn't perfect, but MM's Belle mostly just pined after Shawn (all I remember is her meeting up with Shawn in these matronly nightgowns on their lofts' roof) and later used IVF to try and get pregnant again (she was <25 years old). This compared with KS's Belle who had episodes pretty much focused on her being cute with Shawn, going to dances, making out, etc. I've seen MM on Soap Box and she comes across there as having more spunk, so I am crossing my fingers that it was storyline related that made her so boring and she'll come across better this time.

At least it won't be Charity Rahmer.

• Members

The problem with MM is quite simple - she's far too old to play Belle. I don't mean to put her down as an actress, but she's only a year younger than Alison Sweeney! I know it's a soap, but still, she always came off as older than Belle.

If it's time for Belle to come back full time, I agree, time for a recast in her late 20s perhaps.

• Members

LOL! I can't!

And as soon as she took over the role, they made all of Belle's story center on marriage and pregnancy. Of course, now Belle has -- at minimum -- a 10-year-old child, who's probably being recast as 15, so MM might fit the mold for that.

The problem with Belle is that she was never established as anyone aside from Shawn (and Philip, I suppose). She's one-half of Shelle. Bo, Hope, Kayla, Steve, Jack, even Jennifer -- those characters all have (or had) distinct personalities that would have enabled them to function independently on a canvas with decent writing. But who is Belle? Kind of a Daddy's girl? Kind of a brat but not really? She might be the flattest lead heroine this show has ever had.

• Members

This is why I'm for a recast, I liked Martha but she aged the character horribly and Belle became so stuck in a rut. It wasn't until the Phillip affair that she came into her own and but then they stupidly killed the Phillip/Belle/Shawn/Chloe quad and fired Shelle. Belle's been gone long enough now that you can wipe the slate clean and start fresh. Honestly I wish KS wasn't on GH right now because it'd be great to have her back here.

• Members

But that's the problem for so many couples and why I'm not all "OMG THEY HAVE TO BE TOGETHER FOREVA AND EVA!!!". They should be established as their own characters. It's why I've loved Marlena sans John and Hope sans Bo. They all should exist as characters on their own. They used to.

I don't agree about Storms. Why do you like her as Belle? She's been gone for 10 years. Her Belle was so annoying to me. I was thrilled when she left.

It was incredibly dumb of the show to axe Shelle and Philip. I also never thought they should have aged Philip at the time. It made more sense to me that it be Nicholas, who already had that relationship with Shawn. They could have killed Carly and Lawrence off-screen and had Nicholas return to live with Vivian at the time. I've also always believed Brady and Abby should have stayed the same age and be paired together. But not with 50 year old Brady.

• Members

I'm really not getting all this love for Storms. She's right up there with Charity Rahmer at this point for me.

I'm also not getting all this Jason Cook love. I never cared for him. I didn't care for Brandon Beemer either so it's not about that for me. The portrayal made Shawn into such a doofus that it made me feel sorry for Belle, of all people.

I agree Madison was too old for the role. I don't think she's a very good actress but compared to her predecessors (Storms, and of course Rahmer) and her old costars (Fath, Cook, Brandt, Beemer), she's Beverlee McKinsey.

• Members

The announcement that Maree Cheatham is back better happen soon!!

The only actor from the beginning from the core family. I can understand that newer viewers may not know or care about Marie Horton (Days fault for not nurturing the Hortons) but really there is no excuse...

Archived