AMC: Uncasting News

• Members

What I find funny when I think about it is that McTavish first off brought Bobby and Anita back which to this day I never have figured out the reason. They have never really been used and what little story they had wasn't explored. Bobby's biggest chance at a story was having him around when the Sam reveal was made, but she sent him packing before that time indicating to me that she never really intended to make the Sam reveal at all and used it only when Eva LaRue decided to leave.

Another thing and the more I think about it I get upset about it, but she keeps sacrificing characters who have a history with the show for new characters or her babies. First off she basically sacrificed Edmund for Zach. Then she has assassinated the character of Jack to make him the "hater" first in the Ryan and Greenlee romance and then now he is the "hated" one while you are supposed to feel bad for Ryan and his brother (sorry I forget his name right now). Then she sets up romances between Sam and Lily / Aiden and Anita. Well first off Sam is sent packing so that Lily can fall for Ryan's brother. Then she backburners Anita so that Aidan can have a romance with Erin.

It just seems funny.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes he came on in 1998 and she was head writer then. She was head writer according to my source from 1992 - 1995, then 1997 to 1999. That last I am not sure about because I thought that Nixon came back on in latter 98 but not sure.

Edit

I just checked another source - a press release by Brian Frons and it does state she was headwriter from 1997 to 1999. She returned to the show in May 2003.

This is a quote from that press release:

I read that quote and she has sacrificed two of her own creations, but they were sacrificed for the Lavery family.

• Members

I would not be afraid to bet that they don't do an official write off of the character. She is hardly ever seen so they would not need to explain her absence. Their mother still lives in Pine Valley but is never seen. Since she has not been on there would really be no need to explain to the audience where she is at. They basically did that with Langley Wallingford. He was always just somewhere else if he was ever mentioned. Look at what they have done with Ruth. So they probably won't even worry about someone as insignificant to the story as Anita is right now.

• Members

One of the things I keep thinking about with Julia is that once again McTavish just wanted to undo something done by another writer to one of her creations. I mean she has rewritten the Janet story totally wiping out the plastic surgery point (which was another writers addition to her creation), she completely undid the beautiful Chris Stamp story of him being Ryan's dad, etc. etc.

As I posted the quote before Julia was one of McTavish's creations from her first stint on the show. She created both Julia and Noah. After she left is when Julia and Noah were put into witness protection. She left in 1995 and they went into witness protection in 1996. She's already cleared up the witness protection part and brought Julia back to the show. That may have been as far as she planned for the character.

She probably never intended for them to go into witness protection and this was her way of undoing or fixing it in her mind. I just wish she would have a clear idea for the character in her mind before she brought her on. to me it looks like she was brought back to clear up that story and she had no other ideas for the character beyond that. I dont think she had any ideas for Bobby or Anita when she brought them on either.

That last part has been a bad characteristic of McTavish's tenure this time - no clear definition of her characters beyond one particular story. We saw it with Ethan. She had one story for him in mind, and he languished in the background for way too long when that story wrapped. Julia is doing the same. She brought this vet back and has to be paying her pretty well to sit around every once in awhile and hold another characters hand or give advice. Occassionally she falls into bed with David. It is just sad the further dead weight she has caused for the show.

• Members

Well I guess I don't care either way - She was nice to look at, but that's about it. She is a Santos, and I've always LOVED that family - but I guess with Mateo likely never coming back and Maria never coming back and the actor who played Hector, the dad, died earlier this year - what's the point? Julia is good, but she was the only Santos that never really looked like a Santos to me...don't ask me why - but yeah, whatever.

I guess with new Colby and Petey - they could always bring on a Rosa, but didn't she already come on once as the teenage girl trying to get away from controlling parents and be sexy and whatnot?

• Members

Aiden and Erin are pointless and should just leave. Erin is only there for Jonathan anyway. While Aiden hasn't had a real story since the Maureen/Maria saga.

Amanda is nothing without Janet in my opinon. So if Janet has to go then i think Amanda should as well. Janet is the only thing interesting about her character.

• Members

Yes she did but she sacrificed it and everything that followed with the redemption of Janet, her love for Trevor, the Dillon family and all just for this rewrite. All to build up to the explosion for sweeps. I'm sure she did not intend for Janet to ever be fully reformed, but Broderick did, gave her a family, strong friendships in town. All that has been sacrificed for what - maybe a few ratings points.

Some longtime fans of the show have been angered because at the drop of a hat she chooses to rewrite the history of the show even things that she created on the show in the past.

To me and I am sorry to be so negative about the show right now, but she is sitting up there and thinking all the fans care about is being entertained, they don't care about the characters or the show just as long as I entertain them. Well for some of us just mere entertainment is not enough. I have watched this show almost everyday faithfully since the early 1970's. Some of the years not everyday (only when out of school or during the summers). I quit watching on the 21st half way through. I have not looked back. I still keep the show in my top 5 out of respect for the years I watched the show. If I didn't love it so much I couldn't be this passionate about it.

One of my earliest memories was sometime after Rosemary Prinz left the show, she was on the Jerry Lewis telethon. And she answered the phone when we made a pledge that year. I got to actually hear her voice. That was sometime in the early 70's and I was just a boy.

Archived