2014 Daytime Emmy's Discussion

AllMyDaysatGH

• Members

Yeah, I know that's Sarah's story - she's been dining out on the poor me line since the '90s. I also have never heard her version of events backed up by anyone reputable and I know that she has an atrocious rep in the industry. I always, always heard that SMG was the problem, not Susan, but SMG worked the Erica Kane angle which worked for the press.

Loved her on Buffy, watched it all seven years, think she's a true talent and I appreciate her dogged loyalty to daytime, but as a person she is a legendary nightmare.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It bugs me that people assume what KG said is true because she had the poor taste to say it at an awards ceremony. Since when is KG a reputable source for anything?

I've read that "unauthorized" bio of SL from the 80s, hoping for good gossip or dirt. wink.png There was nothing remotely scandalous in there about her, and the authors seemed to dig pretty deeply. Karen Lynn Gorney (original Tara Martin) was kind of snotty and said that what SL and Ruth Warrick did isn't "acting" - it's camp. Dack Rambo said she once got angry at a cast member who showed up on set unprepared and didn't know his lines, but he felt her frustration was more than warranted. Some of the actors said they felt she worried too much about what her kids were doing while she was at work, and that she doesn't put much into rehearsal - she saves it all for the taping. That was pretty much the worst of it. By and large, the overall commentary people had on her was that she was a trooper, she never complained, even when she got hurt on set, she never badgered TPTB about story, and she never asked for any kind of special treatment, beyond having it in her contract that she was off work for her kids' birthdays and their first day of school each year. The idea that she suddenly changed into a different person a few years later and demanded that a teenaged girl be fired is preposterous to me.

If SL did behave badly behind the scenes, then in 40+ years of working as an actress, someone, somewhere would come forward with a story about it. Some out of work actor looking for free publicity or a tabloid payout would sell a scandalous story if there was one to sell. No one can maintain a squeaky clean image for that long, but in all this time, the only person who has ever been rumored to have a problem with SL on set is SMG... and many people have gone on to have problems on set with SMG.

• Members

Well looks like SMG told Kathy that story days earlier knowing it may be used in the emmys so maybe Dano should be mad at Gellar for still talking that story. Like I said its been around two decades. So maybe Gellar is the one that needs to stop talking about it

• Members

It's very possible that SL did get Gellar fired because early on, she was an awardless diva. Today, you cannot find better than SL in the business. She has grace and presents herself that way all the time. SMG has had much success since being off off AMC. If SMG wanted to tell this, she should have done it herself, and if that little gargoyle, Griffith, wanted to use it for fodder, THE DAYTIME EMMYS WAS NOT THE PLACE. This is to honor what's left of the genre, and that troll decided it was gossip time? Z list bitch!

• Members

I like Kathy, I used to love her, but her act and everything it in it has been tired for years. It's all the same old jokes and ancient gossip for a good six, seven, eight years. She clearly had no original material for the soaps, so she went to the same story Sarah has been peddling since the '90s. I thought she was trying too hard to shock and own the mic at what very little I saw of the Emmys - it doesn't take a lot of balls to interrupt a lady producer at an online-only awards show, especially when Kathy clearly had no clue who JFP was, and even as one of JFP's most vehement detractors I thought she was tacky and being stupid. She should invest all that energy in coming up with new [!@#$%^&*].

Chit, SMG has been telling her tale of woe about Susan since before she left AMC. It gets traction with the mainstream press because SMG was America's Sweetheart on Buffy whereas Susan Lucci was just a daytime soap diva playing a bitch on TV. But while Sarah has always been fiercely supportive of daytime and has many friends from AMC - and I love that about her - the longest-running stories about who did what on AMC mostly only go one way, back to her.

• Members

I love Kathy & her comedy style. I dont feel bad for the JFP thing. Jill was going on and on at that point and had even paused her speech and was looking for words to say.

After all the damage Jill has done to daytime Im glad she was finally told to shut the !@#$%^&*] up and sit down

• Members

I believe it has come out that at the time someone at AMC wanted to pit SMG & Lucci aganist the other and it worked. They both said they have gotten past it. So who really knows. SMG was let go right after the 95 emmys. That is trie but I think the show and SMG parted mutually

• Members

Re: SMG/Lucci "feud" and the KG joke about Lucci getting SMG fired.

It was only a joke, Griffin admitted this when she said "None of that can be confirmed," and plead the first amendment.

SMG had been asking to leave for months at that point. According to her 2002 interview on "Revealed," (I think that might have been the E! clip referred to earlier? Unless I'm wrong) she had gotten a role on Clueless and AMC wouldn't let her out to do it. She'd been wanting to do movies for a while by the time she announced her departure.

SMG says the producers told her she was allowed to leave the night after winning the Emmy. Unless Lucci has powers of seeing into the future and knew, before anyone else, that SMG was going to win the Emmy (for "Younger Actress" - they weren't even competing against each other), I don't believe Lucci got SMG fired. Unless she was able to get it done less than 24 hours on a week-end before producers told SMG she was able to leave.

There's never been an actual source for all of these stories so I tend to take them all with a grain of salt. I don't remember SMG ever saying Lucci had her fired, I only read her saying the opposite ("Contrary to what one newspaper reported, I was not fired because I won the Emmy and Susan (Lucci) didn't." - The Girl's Got Bite, 2003/"It made me look incredibly bad," says Gellar, who says ABC knew for months that she wanted to leave the sudser, "I was told by ABC that I couldn't announce my leaving until they made an official announcement. The timing was terrible." - Chicago Sun Times, September 1997) and that they weren't competing ("She was in the 'Leading Actress' category and, let's be honest, 'Leading Actress' is a much more difficult category and you don't work alone-I won for scenes submitted with her, for work we did together." - The Girl's Got Bite, 2003/"The only way to look at it - and this is what I said to Susan - is that I won for work we did together." - Chicago Sun Times, September 1997).

I believe Lucci and SMG when they deny there was a feud and I go with SMG's assertion that they simply just didn't get along, as that's pretty much real life. She was a 15-17 year old kid working really closely with Lucci as one of her main co-stars for a big part of her storyline so that doesn't seem terribly odd. Teenagers suck to get along with sometimes. I have no idea what either of them are like on set so I won't speculate more on that. Kathy Griffin was just playing up old rumours for a joke. That the producers left the door open for Kendall's return (a popular character) says something and even SMG interviewed in 1995 that she would be willing to come back down the road - see source (and then she got Buffy).

And then she did, in 2011 wink.png

Archived