Empire: Discussion Thread

• Members

They've only said he's got some "personal issues" he's sorting out. I assume that either it's something really bad or he's at odds with the producers and might still be supporting Jussie. I guess we'll see if he's back for the series finale whenever it gets filmed.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I came in here to post that I just finished watching the series finale and was totally underwhelmed.  Then I saw that article about how it's a makeshift finale and I feel slightly better ONLY because I now know the show didn't originally plan for this to be the finale.  It was so lackluster and not a proper end to such a dynamic show (even though it became unwatchable the last couple of seasons).

I feel bad for any of the remaining fans, that ending was so underwhelming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Same here. I loved season 1 and I'm not sure I made to to season 3, because I quickly started to lose interest during the second season...something just didn't feel the same. It was a really fast decline for me...I went from being so enthralled in this show like I haven't been for a long time to just not even caring. I wonder if it got better after season 2 or maybe I just gave up too easily.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I knew the show was going to fall off the minute I saw Cookie put on that gorilla suit in the second season premiere. I just sat there thinking "What is you doing???". It looked so stupid. It's crazy how quickly they squandered all that goodwill from the first season.

• Members

That's how it was for me. I loved Season 1 and devotedly watched every episode. Season 2 it all fell apart for me and by Season 3 I dropped off and never watched again. 

I can't say I fault FOX about the series finale. The Covid-19 pandemic isn't going anywhere and the show went from #5 in the ratings to #86. There was no business case to be made for airing a finale wrap up 2 hour special in the future. It was also likely to become a scheduling nightmare as the crews and cast went their separate ways. 

• Members

^

This. 

The season 2 opener was when the show jumped the shark for me. I also thought it was insulting seeing as the message was being against Black men being incarcerated. Lee Daniels, despite being Black, does and says some problematic sh-t. 

And I agree with others that stories that could've been drawn out for seasons ended up being sped up and soon forgotten. I totally think this show went to sh-t when they stupidly killed off Annika. I think putting Cookie back in Lucious' orbit so easily killed the show too.