Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

he told her to shut her mouth because she didn't know what she was talking about. But when he said it, even that wasn't antagonistic. I thought he was afraid of her or something. LOL

He didn't call her a B. She called herself a B. But yeah, he did tell her she sounded stupid and to shut up. But his tone wasn't aggressive. I found it interesting.

yeah. you are right. probably not.

• Members

It doesn't bother me. It's a reality - people say it, people in that industry say it, in various cultures driven by machismo or perceptions of strength, for a variety of reasons.

It's an ugly word I try not to use and I prefer people around me don't, but I know plenty of other gay folks say it, and that's their business and I can understand it. And when it happens in a fictional context to illustrate a character or a situation or environment such as this one, I also understand it. The word exists, the word is used. Cookie has an (un-PC) character reason to throw it around and say it in her world as herself. Pretending she doesn't or claiming she shouldn't to adhere to some sort of outside IRL ethos beyond the show kind of misses the point to me. This is a fictional soap opera about the hip-hop world.

I roll my eyes at the various 'socially conscious' online journalists struggling to get a hand on Empire's incorrect gender and sexual politics - it's a soap opera set in a very specific (and fictionalized) world full of overcompensating masculinity, aggression and thorny identity issues. What do you expect to see? Is it supposed to be less acceptable because it's not a period piece? Acting like the show has to serve as a sociocultural exemplar and check the right boxes is ludicrous, but (IMO) that's an implicit throughline in a lot of the reviews I've been reading on the second episode. Servicing my ideology is not necessary in my entertainment, but it seems to be these days on way too many shows for way too many people.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Our world has become way to politically correct to the point where it's bordering on insanity. I mean I watch television because I want something different/edgy sometimes. That's part of the essence of a television show. If I wanted the same old quiet safe discourse I'd stick to regular life.

That preview is so engrossing. And ChitHappens I agree with yor re Terrence. Rewatching his scenes you can tell there's a million things going on behind his eyes. Andre reminds me of Lucius a lot in that way.

Edited by ThePrinceOfSunspear

• Members

It didn't bother me. I agree the world is becoming way too politically correct.

Not saying I love the word, or use the word, but I understood the context in which it was used.

Didn't Paul on DAYS just use the word fag today?

Edited by KMan101