Elizabeth Hendrickson OUT at Y&R

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Granted, I'm biased because I loved Annie's nutty ass on AMC, but I truly wonder how can someone who had a lot of goodwill for being one of the few bright spots in that show's last years have the tide turned against her on this show.

As for EH, I've always been indifferent towards her (to me, she was nothing more than Bianca's first true love), but is she truly more popular than MCE these days?

• Members

I didn't see nutty Annie so what MCE did in that role is irrelevant to me. I personally just don't care for the Chelsea character but I don't hate MCE or think she RUINED EVERYTHING! for EH/Chloe. It ain't like Chloe had awesome stories before MCE arrived. I still think Chloe could've worked in the right setting but writers never got what she should've been doing or the type of man she should've been paired with. I do think Chloe playing a second banana position to a character so similar to hers this past year is crap though.

• Members

Hendrickson has mostly only ever been popular among the harpies who run the soap "press." I don't think Chloe was ever that popular with fans. Her first year, maybe, but even then she was polarizing, as Hendrickson's inability to play the material and anti-chemistry with most of her co-stars were already tripping her up.

MCE mostly seems to get a "blah" reaction, as she did at AMC before they made Annie nuts.

• Members

Pre nutso Annie was just not interesting, and today's Daytime loons are not creative or fun. Crazy Annie got MCE noticed, however. As Chelsea, she is really an enjoyable actress and has some pretty damn good chemistry with just about the entire cast. Too much doting on Chels, but someone has to be the "it" girl and I'd rather it be MCE than Amelia Heinle.

• Members

I see virtually no difference between Chelsea and pre-Crazy Annie on AMC. They were/are both boring as hell.

MCE is a decent actress, so I'm not going to say it's like other mediocre soap people where it's real easy for someone to play crazy or be a little bitchy and get showered with superficial accolades for a thin performance (see: Kelly Thiebaud, GH). But while Egan's good, she's not strong enough to elevate a character made to be utterly bland. I find Chelsea to be a waste of time. Cynthia Watros, OTOH, could and did do a lot even with just a vaguely damaged recurring player.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Considering the origin stories of both characters, TPTB did these characters no favors in the way they were ushered onto the GC landscape, although I do think the writers/execs seem more invested in the Chelsea character. Chloe had a very convoluted introduction from the get-go...if only they had allowed her to remain Katie, Katherine Chancellor's namesake but I really think someone thought having a spoiled, entitled and deceptive fashionista wannabe type character was somehow more cool (i.e. trendy) in the beginning but eventually, once the Chance and Chloe stuff fizzled and the character was saddled with the Fisher/Baldwins, Chloe became disposable. Once they severed her tenuous ties to the Abbotts, it became official that TPTB did not have much use for her.

Although Chelsea had a repulsive introduction to GC, she/MCE has been able to bounce around and remain fairly relevant until they solidified her status by connecting her with the Newmans. Actually the character was always tied to a central family (Abbotts and Newmans) from the very beginning and continues to be, unlike Chloe who got a demotion to the Fisher/Baldwins.

When I saw Chloe and Chelsea in scenes together, I couldn't help but think how redundant one of them was becoming since they seemed to be the same character by then.

Archived