March 12, 201412 yr Member I'd imagine that ATWT would be heaven to work at because I've never heard anything too bad going down there. Maybe a few spats between costars but nothing more. I have heard through the grapevine that if you did get out of line, you'd have to answer to the "holy trinity," Kathy Hays, Don Hastings, or Helen Wagner. Oh how I'd love for Kathy Hays to give me a "Oh Kiddo" line before reading me the riot act. Ernie Townsend wrote a little about some of his problems on the show when he was there around 1984 or so. I don't have the exact article at the moment, but a quick summary: Apparently the show was a real mess at this time backstage (one of the actors who played, I think, the fiance to Steve's sister, ErnieTownsend is his name, talked about some of the problems after he left -- he wasn't allowed to touch the man who was strangling his girlfriend because the man was "the star" of the show; actors had to wait around 3 hours for sets to change; characters would be put in scenes together based mainly on what sets were up; he was brought in to kill someone and then that person suddenly got a long term contract). I get the feeling the show was a tough slog in the early 80s. Tonya Pinkins had some problems with Robert Calhoun during their year or so on the show together. I've heard mixed things about Days and the ABC soap sets, but I don't think any of them are as bad as Y&R can be....though I agree that OLTL seemed like a depressing place to work in the early days......I can't get over how evil Joe Stuart and Paul Rauch seemed from all those stories I heard.... DAYS seemed to have huge, ugly backstage drama in the late 70s, and then during Crystal Chappell's years on the show. I don't know about otherwise, although some of the producers sound vindictive to me.
March 12, 201412 yr Member LOL! Hunter Tylo might beg to differ. When did she and Ronn Moss start dating? And when did Sean Kanen first join the show?! Exactly! I remember SK being a source of bts gossip at B&B. Like when he got his castmate pregnant and denied he was the father until DNA results came back.
March 12, 201412 yr Member Exactly! I remember SK being a source of bts gossip at B&B. Like when he got his castmate pregnant and denied he was the father until DNA results came back. Are we sure Maury didn't deliver the results? I also believe that news helped bust up SK's marriage, if I'm not mistaken.
March 12, 201412 yr Member Exactly! I remember SK being a source of bts gossip at B&B. Like when he got his castmate pregnant and denied he was the father until DNA results came back. SAY WHAT???
March 12, 201412 yr Member Hey, if they put on a show about the behind the scenes of the Bell soaps, it would get ratings of Super Bowl-like proportions. Maybe.
March 12, 201412 yr Member Are we sure Maury didn't deliver the results? I also believe that news helped bust up SK's marriage, if I'm not mistaken. Oh yeah! I always forget that he was married and cheating on his wife when it went down.
March 12, 201412 yr Member Oh yeah! I always forget that he was married and cheating on his wife when it went down. He and Gladys Jiminez were castmates on B&B (he as Deacon, she as Carmen), and their baby girl was born in the summer of 2001. SK was still married to his first wife at the time. He has since remarried (not to Gladys Jiminez) and they have a combined family situation. He has his daughter and his new wife has four kids.
March 12, 201412 yr Member Y&R has got to be the worst though. From The 80's to today it seems like big egos and intense pressure have made a tough place to work. Just imagine being there during the end of Brenda Dickson's time there. And Terry Lester. It sounds like it was rarely a happy place; likely happier in the early days, but not all that happy (Janice Lynde didn't seem to have a happy departure; JLB said the backstage conditions were terrible and she was one of the people who tried to fight to improve it; Bill Bell and John Conboy parted on extremely bad terms). I keep thinking of that story where MTS supposedly didn't speak to Jeanne Cooper for several years, and Jeanne didn't know why. Then one day MTS started speaking to her again. And these were two of the people on the show who got along well.
March 12, 201412 yr Member Yeah, Jeanne wrote about the MTS situation in her book (that's where I heard about it).
March 12, 201412 yr Member It sounds like it was rarely a happy place; likely happier in the early days, but not all that happy (Janice Lynde didn't seem to have a happy departure; JLB said the backstage conditions were terrible and she was one of the people who tried to fight to improve it; Bill Bell and John Conboy parted on extremely bad terms). I keep thinking of that story where MTS supposedly didn't speak to Jeanne Cooper for several years, and Jeanne didn't know why. Then one day MTS started speaking to her again. And these were two of the people on the show who got along well. The irony is most of the actors had such respect for Bill they didn't allow their backstage drama to become a huge issue (however once Bill stepped down & Sony began exerting increasing influence everything changed).
March 12, 201412 yr Member I'd imagine B&B is a great place to work at now work load wise and good pay compared to the hour shows. I'd always thought Y&R was a good place based upon actor interviews and reading Bell's book but some here seem to allude otherwise. I bet Days had to be tough esp during JER 2.0 and anything in the 2000's. AW their last few years had to be tough. GL when they started filming in my backyard and EW became EP had to be a major morale blow.
March 13, 201412 yr Member Oh yeah - in Kim Zimmer's book, she goes through the whole ugly story. Ellen Wheeler didn't lose her temper all that often, but once she did, she would completely explode. Probably not surprising, considering how much pressure was on her.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.