L.A. Law Thread

BKuzak

• Members

I don't know if there is a thread already started but since the first and second season DVD's are finally comming out this year and it's the 20th anniversary of the final episode, it seems like a good time to start it.

I really liked the show. I only saw the final season (i think) on NBC but it came on some channel several years ago and i just loved it! Especially the first seasons with Harry Hamlin and Jimmy Smits. the least seasons were OK but it just wasn't the same.

It's said that some episodes are sometimes used in Law class rooms to show how a law firm handles law casses. I do always like the morning meets they had where they all went over their cases.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When American Life Network had it on, I watched just about the entire series and I agree that the first seasons were better. The show lost some steam when Hamlin, Smits and Dey left, but there were some decent episodes after they exited. I liked the show because it always felt like you were really looking into a law firm and a court room.

• Members

I actually just found the LA Law reunion movie on youtube. I guess someone posted it back in June. It's not too bad. Kuzak going up against Owen in court. Roxy seeing her ex husband die, Arnie going through a divorce. And Abby being vengeful because of the way she was constantly not made partner back in the old days.

• Members

What I most remember about the show was that the early seasons had a strong sense of sexuality and biting wit that made up for the pompousness and sourness that is David Kelley.

Over time too much became goofy and forced. And the show, for all its breathless hype at the time for daring subject matter, is actually quite safe.

• Members

I think when American Life had it on, they cut a lot of the sexy stuff out because it was a "family" network. but it was still great to watch all the episodes i could.

I am thrilled it's finally comming to DVD. Maybe since they have the first two seasons so close together, it will generate enough buz so they would put out more next year. Some times they only put out the first season and then wait for it to generate enough interest for a second. and then when it doesn, The company looses interest.

• Members

Glad to hear its finally, finally coming to DVD. I remember rewatching the entire run on A&E there 1999-2001 or so. The early seasons with Hamlin and Dey are definitely devine, but the later seasons had good stuff later on with Rosalind's infamous fall, Gwen, and adding Debi Mazar's Civil Wars character.

• Members

Heh I was just looking up Sheila Kelley's IMDB page.

One strange episode I do recall from later seasons guest starred Dan Castellaneta in a Homer Simpson costume after being fired which was pretty surreal since Fox's Thursday night line-up was NBC's biggest threat at the time.

The show may seem very safe nowadays but I what a difference 20-25 years makes...If I recall right Blair Underwood having an interracial kiss with I forget whom at the moment got the show banned in South Africa.

• Members

Abby. That story was dropped so quickly. Too bad. I liked Abby.

Reading on Wikipedia made me realize how many different people ran the show in its last 2-3 years. I never knew John Masius and John Falsey were involved with this show (they were producing the show during the Homer Simpson thing you mentioned). They were fired. I can see why, as they don't seem suited to LA Law. Northern Exposure seemed to be most suited to their style (although I loved the first season of St. Elsewhere - it's my favorite season).

I'm not a fan of the whole "shows should only run for five years or they are damned!!!!" but in this case I think that had some truth. I remember toward the end there was that mess with Stuart getting brain damage from the riots, and it was so unsuited to what the show had once been.

• Members

You can still surprise viewers now, most shows just don't bother to try.

I know the critics say that was the beginning of the end for the show. While I thought it was somewhat tacky, I don't think it was the problem. It's just a shame they didn't know what to do with Diana Muldaur.

• Members

Thanks, I had wanted to say it was Zoey but that was later on, and I think she was most memorable for having a pre-Kimberly Shaw moment and ripping open her blouse to show where she was directly shot in her right breast.

Heh thanks for that video, the best was the following episode where the foreigners trying to explain what happened.

• Members

I also like how Jeanne Cooper played Corbin's mother. I'm very much looking forward to that episode (She did an episode in the first season and then in another episode several seasons later.) Especially now that she's passed away.

Archived