B&B: Meet the new Ridge....

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK. I've been swamped the past few days, so I'm just catching up. I'm stunned, but at least they hired someone who can act. If they are going to pull this off - a "Thor"(n)sten in Bill side - he could do it. If this somehow brings HT and Jacquie back, then I'm all for it. It's risky for B&B, but the great thing about their format and production cycle is that they can send "Widge" back to Europe in a few weeks if it's not working.

Oh, and as far as chemistry with KKL, she should have it in spades with TK. (Although there haven't really been men that she hasn't had some sort of spark with - and that's not mean - I just think she has that elusive "it" when it comes to male actors.)

• Members
Bahahahah!!!!

Sorry guys. Just catching up on this thread.

Not sure what to make of this. This is a recast of a MAJOR character. One of the core four; the only Forrester child to never be recast. And as others have said, Moss was an icon, like it or not. B&B doesn't get buzz in the U.S., but he's known worldwide to millions of viewers.

On the other hand, it's another ABC refugee. So many of them visit, but very few stay in town for more than a few months. (I'm still amazed at how long Jack Wagner lasted). Most ABC actors are brought on as new characters, so this is a definite game change.

One thing is for sure: they need to beef up the Forresters. Ditch Quinn, bring back Felicia full-time and put Thorne back on the front burner.

Down the line, if Texas Battle or Lawrence St. Victor ever left or were let go, Kristen Forrester can be brought back with an adult Zende. I can think of an AMC or DAYS actor that'd be perfect for the role... ;)

• Members

Ronn Moss' acting skills are subpar, but Ridge has very little depth as a character, he's one dimensional and often only a device for other characters, so Moss was able to carry the role for the most part. He was believable as very privileged, upscale fashion designer in Beverly Hills.

I'll reserve judgement until seeing his first appearances, but I think Thorsten Kaye will be awkward in the role.

• Members

Ronn Moss's Ridge had this very unique mix of:

-entitled Bel-Air privilege

-hyper-competitiveness

-rock n roll womanizer

-machismo

-favoured son

-perpetually horny

-unapologetic feminine side.

That is quite a feat. Yes, his line readings were OTT and hilarious. However, in the early days, he did try. He had a lot of scenes with Susan Flannery, Lauren Koslow and Joanna Johnson, and I think some of that did rub off. Obviously William J Bell saw those romance-cover cheekbones and thought, "He looks the part" but it was more than that. Poor actor though he was, Moss managed to embody a lot of conflicting elements in Ridge's demeanor.

Thorsten can do machismo just fine, but if he wants to do justice and have fun with the part, he is going to have to go balls to the wall! Embracing the cheese while also softening the gritty tough-guy approach. Ridge had swagger, he was lecherous AND a drama queen, but also laid-back and quietly exasperated by all these women fighting over him. TK is a good actor, but I tell you, marrying ALL of that with a light touch, without going overboard... it isn't going to be easy.

• Members

IA with you that Quinn (and possibly Wyatt -- I don't see the attraction with this dead-eyed sociopath. And believe me, I'm not a Liam fan either but at least he comes across as relatable and human, if dumb as a box of rocks) need to go. The Forresters should be the counterpoint to the Logan women and Spencer men, and bringing back Felicia and Thorne full-time alongside Ridge and Rick would be awesome. I'd also bring back Taylor and Steffy.

• Members

I'm still slightly optimistic and curious.

Yet; I remembered how much I HATED Lane Davies as TempRidge. I was very young back then and this was one my first recast moments, so this maybe throw me off from the get-go, but I think he was all wrong for the role and in his demeanour didn't fit. As someone else mentioned, Ridge isn't exactly a deep character. He's mostly self-indulgent and only got some sympathy from Ronn Moss' chuckling charme and acting ditz. So this will be indeed pretty hard to make the character work but best of luck to Thorsten Kaye.

Archived