Has Behind-the-Scenes Drama Ever Ruined Your Enjoyment of a Series?

Khan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a little different, but it's hard to watch Diff'rent Strokes knowing that some of the stars had such rough lives and died young. Todd Bridges pulled through his drug problem, but unfortunately, Dana Plato didn't and Gary Coleman never seemed to have had much happiness in his life.

Other than that, I think the backstage animosity helps fuel some of the character interactions (not in all cases). On Golden Girls, there was a scene were Rose slapped a passed out Dorothy in the face and Dorothy slapped her back when she came to. That scene had the vibe like it teetered on the edge of Arthur and White breaking character.

• Members

1. Salary negotiations (Friends, Modern Family, SVU). Not sure why, but this bugs the crap out of me. I don't want to know what these people make (especially when they are as mediocre as the Friends bunch), and I don't want to know that they can't reach an agreement. It totally ruins it for me. I think I live in a fantasy world that everyone wants to be at work and the money is secondary. It's crazy, but this is my biggest peeve.

2. Who someone likes working with or don't. This ruins the fantasy for me. I'd rather believe that everyone is a professional and they all come in and do the job. Nothing in between.

3. Off screen lovers who are also on screen lovers. Totally takes away my enjoyment. FF material!

• Members

That reminds me of what happened between Jesse Spencer and Jennifer Morrison on "House." Producers maintained that Morrison's reduced airtime and eventual departure had nothing at all to do with their RL breakup, but I think most viewers knew better. As House himself said all the time: "Everybody lies."

• Members

About the SMG/Alyson Hannigan stuff, I think Alyson has almost always been grating and unlikable onscreen. I can't get into the sancification of "poor Alyson"! Part of it's that I don't like her at all as an actress but the other part of it is that I also remember when she bitched and whined in an interview about how "mean" Julie Benz was to her. And she's still bitching about Sarah. That said, SMG became very unlikable too during the later years of Buffy and I know about the war with her and Susan Lucci. I don't really have a horse in the race, I'm just saying some of it is likely Alyson Hannigan. But you never know. I haven't met any of them in real life.

When I watched Boy Meets World and sometimes Full House, I don't think there was any behind the scenes drama. There didn't seem to be any with Step by Step either, even though many of the things I've heard about Suzanne Somers are not exactly nice!

I love Sex and the City! Haven't heard too much about fights but I did hear about Kim Cattrall being jealous of her costars. Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis, and Cynthia Nixon seem to be really close while Cattrall doesn't seem to be too friendly with them apparently due to jealousy. That ruined a little bit of the show for me but fights on set happen all the time. And I don't think it was that big a deal, not as much as some other shows.

Also love Desperate Housewives but I definitely heard about some offscreen fights and it kinda ruined the show for me. It seems Teri Hatcher was nasty to her costars and they didn't like her. Tom and Lynette were probably my favorite characters, but Felicity Huffman and Doug Savant often didn't get along either.

• Members

Which is not only true, but ironic, since "Desperate Housewives" couldn't have come at a better time for Ms. Hatcher or her career.

Of course, the acrimony between Delta Burke, Dixie Carter, Linda Bloodworth-Thomason and their respective spouses on the set of "Designing Women" is, by now, the stuff of TV industry legend. Delta gets fat, CBS gets nervous, Delta gets nervous (and a Xanax prescription), Linda says she'll write for Delta fat OR thin, Linda writes Delta the episode that wins her an Emmy nomination, Linda says some other stuff I'm forgetting, Delta says other stuff I'm forgetting, Harry takes his wife, Linda's, side, Dash Goff, the Writer takes Delta's side, Delta gets mad that Dixie and Mr. Holbrook won't take HER side, a three-way friendship that began with "Filthy Rich" gets trashed (until Delta and Linda make up and put out that awful Suzanne Sugarbaker spinoff), the tabloids trash everyone involved, Delta leaves the show (and gains, like, 200 more pounds, plus an awful series of her own and an even worse dye job), and "Designing Women" basically slides into oblivion w/ Sheryl Lee Ralph behind the wheel.

• Members

That reminds me of "Three's Company," and what happened after Suzanne and her husband, Alan Hamel, went after the producers for more money. Ironically, though, that's not what contributes to my not liking the show as much as before (although, I definitely agree with those who feel the quality wasn't the same once Somers was fired). What ruins my enjoyment of 3'sC more is knowing the kind of abuse that Michael Ross subjected Joyce DeWitt, Jenilee Harrison and Prescilla Barnes to. Not to mention the fact that they, in accordance with the network, basically hoodwinked Norman Fell.

• Members

That must have been a mess. I love the show and I think that if Linda/CBS didn't treat Delta that way the show would have went on much longer.

The same thing happened with Dallas when Victoria left, everyone else left.

The biggest issue, and one of my biggest pet peeves in prime time in general, is that they kept trying to "fill in the void" some how WITH EACH CHARACTER THAT LEFT. They tried adding Charlene's (SP?) sister along with a cousin or whatever of Julia's to fill in the Suzzane void. It may have lasted if they did a complete retool and tried adding more originality instead of trying to "Replace" everyone's position on the canvas.

Either that or they should have just canceled the show together.

• Members

I think that the first time I have ever let my knowledge of the actor ruin their character for me is Jack Abbot on Y&R and his feelings about Keemo. I never paid much attention to behind the scenes info. Never really consumed it until the past 5 years. But I am having a blast reading the stuff posted...especially the post about Designing Women.

• Members

Delta was IMO the funniest and she knew how to connect everyone together.

Charlene was too much of a blonde stereotype and was WAY to predictable at times. I love the character but something always seemed off/out dated about the humor.

Mary Jo was too serious.

Julia on the other hand could hold her own. I love the rant about "Crazy People in the South" but she needed a good person to balance off of.

That being said, Desining Women has the same issue that a lot of sitcoms have. The recurring characters like Bernice tend to be the most entertaining. Much like Yetta and Sylvia on The Nanny. When all of the "The Nanny" episodes were on YT I would go on IMDB and just go down the list of the epsidoes with Yetta. Golden Girls didn't have that issue. So basically, maybe they should have just upped Bernice to the front Burner and maybe had one of the boyfriends a main player instead of introducing new characters.

• Members

This is something that has screwed up both prime time and daytime shows/stories. The Designing Women mess was awful as that was a great series before everything got out of hand. What is strange is the issues at I Love Lucy don't bother me but that may be because I knew Lucy and Desi divorced when I was watching (even as a kid), and the other actors issues were plain as day.

• Members

I really hate the talk of salary negotiations on soaps probably because I found so many vets overpaid.

I don't like hearing about who wants to work with who either. Be professional and do your damn job!

Ever notice how so many of those off screen lovers who are onscreen lovers have no chemistry or anti chemistry?

Another one that bothers me is actors openly buying into their own hype. Like they give smug interviews all the time and encourage fan antics on twitter. Usually it comes from someone who is a lead and ruins my enjoyment of the show.

Hearing about actors engaging in sexual harassment behind the scenes

Archived