Has Behind-the-Scenes Drama Ever Ruined Your Enjoyment of a Series?

Khan

• Members

For me, that series would be "Moonlighting." Once I discovered some of the crap that happened BTS -- between stars Cybill Shepherd and Bruce Willis, between Cybill and the show's creator/EP/showrunner Glenn Gordon Caron, between Cybill and, well, everybody else -- it was hard for me to watch another rerun.

Another candidate: "Roseanne." And the sad part there is that, these days, I tend to think Matt Williams, along with just about every other writer whom she fired, was right; and that once she obtained the complete control that she wanted, the show turned into crap.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SNL. Reading just how much the 86-91 cast hated each other ruined any fond memories I had of that era. I haven't watched since.

Buffy. Hearing about SMG's attitude problem, the fighting between her and Allyson Hanigan, etc. seriously soured me, and Whedon's general incompetence made me much less likely to ever invest in anything he has done.

• Members

Any show with Lucille Ball, but especially I Love Lucy. Knowing the cast hated each other or would go on to hate each other, and knowing that Lucille Ball spent most of her life as a very unhappy, bitter woman, alone no matter who she was with - all ruined.

I tend to believe the latter, mostly because she and Hannigan were clearly friends and that abruptly stopped about halfway through the show's run.

• Members

I only recently read about Vivian Vance basically cheering when she learned William Frawley died. What a complete blow in the gut.

I watched to the bitter end, but Michael C. Hall cheating on Jennifer Carpenter with Julia Stiles, shortly after he went into remission from cancer. Now I'm glad he never won the Emmy, the prick.

• Members

This didn't "ruin" the show for me, because the show was mostly silliness and not that good, but I don't really watch Welcome Back Kotter anymore after learning Gabe Kaplan and Marcia Strassman were at war for the show's entire run (until Kaplan was fired). The relationship between Kotter and his wife was the best part of the show for me.

The backstage tension also makes it hard for me to watch Good Times.

After I learned that one of the main writers/producers of Homicide said Melissa Leo (my favorite actor on the show) was fired for not being fuckable (his words), I lost most of my interest.

And you're totally right about Roseanne.

Archived