OLTL Shelved

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there was nothing inherently wrong with bringing back Rae. The problem which people expressed was bringing her on every single show on the network. She wasnt that big or popular a character for a stunt like that; she was no Erica Kane. It involved a story that had major plotholes which didnt make sense. If Rae was searching for her child, shouldnt she have known the age of said child? How is it that ABC was throwing candidates such as 40 something Max Holden in there as a likely candidate along with 30 something Skye Chandler and 20 somethings Kelly Cramer and Eve Lambert? It made Rae and many other characters look quite stupid.

• Members

I live for the "dudebrosoap" people glossing over the questionable pieces of Cartini's run, complaining that PP was mysognistic and disenfranchising female characters and demanding more of shirtless Cutter all in one argument.

Agree that both shows are very different and really always have been and that both have much to be proud of in these short first seasons. I've never been into AMC v OLTL or GH v OLTL or any soap wars and one of my favorite things about this board is that it really doesn't happen here. I totally look forward to AMC S2, loved S1 mostly and have loved the show for pretty much as far back as I can remember. But if AMC is still going a year from now (and I so hope that it is) & OLTL is still on PP's shelf or whatever, there will be part me wishing it had went the other way if it absolutely had to be one over the other. But that doesn't mean I won't watch & enjoy every single AMC ep that they make.

Ok well that was P&G's right I suppose as they were still in the soap business. It still didn't mean we needed Linda Dano or Rae Cummings synergizing the ABC line-up. Anyway getting off topic so I'll stop.

• Members

I think the one thing these shows' return proved is that while they are tonally different - and even moreso from GH, which I regularly watched along with them in a block a la the old ABC schedule these past several months - they also go together. AMC was always supposed to be different from OLTL, and OLTL different from AMC. AMC was home and hearth, OLTL was Heaven and Hell. Watching them together again this year, where there's been a real commitment to putting out two unique shows as opposed to the Fronsian mass-produced uniformity of the last decade, has been really fun, watching those different tones and flavors next to each other for the first time in a long time. So I do hope that continues. (And yes, Carlivati's GH was a part of that too - the frothy, often frankly ridiculous of late adventure soap at the other end of the line-up.)

She was wrong. Rae was terrible. Everything about her "tour of the ABC soaps" was crap and she stunk up OLTL for too many years.

• Members

The war Ann was referring to existed long before you started posting here. If you go to the archives and look at the old ratings threads starting from about a year before cancellation you'll see what she was referring to. It was mainly the result of the knowledge that the hammer was about to come down on one soap.The irony is nobody expected that ABC would cancel both.

• Members

All I'll say about this is in spite of my quibbles with OLTL 2.0, I'm definitely displeased with this turn of events - especially since it was leagues above the majority of the tired soaps that are airing on TV (though I will give DAYS a 1/4 gold star for making me interested enough to peep in once every 3 weeks).

Needless to say, it chaps my ass to see raggedy-ass ABC Daytime and that hack Cartini victorious while the superior soap bites the dust - especially since that waste of airtime should've been the one to bite the dust in the first place.

Edit: I meant 'that hack Carlivati'

• Members

Regardless of what happens with OLTL, I hope that both Kelly Missal and Jerry Ver Dorn will both submit themselves for Emmy pre-nominations (or whatever the heck they call it). Both actors put in some great scene work-- as good as practically any of the daytime shows I've seen this past year.

Archived