GH50: Discussion for the month of July...

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, it has just dawned on me that Maxie and Brit's babies are coming at the same time. I think there is another baby switch coming. Here is my prediction:

Lulu and Dante will get Brit and Patrick's baby. Brit will somehow die. Patrick will turnout not to be the father, while the real father is an international criminal of sorts. Lulu and Dante will keep the baby (whose bio-dad will be available years later for some sort of storyline, perhaps long-term like AJ/Sonny/Michael).

Maxie will help care for the baby Brit and Patrick are raising, because she babysits Emma sometimes, and so she'll babysit Patrick's other child too (which is really hers). When Brit dies, it will be revealed that he is not the father. Patrick will still be the legal father, since his name is on the birth certificate. That will give him the right to allow Maxie to adopt the baby. Maxie will plead for the right to do so, but there may conflict because Spinelli and Ellie will get married and want to adopt the baby themselves. Either Patrick will chose Maxie, or maybe he'll chose Ellie&Spinelli leading to conflict, perhaps even the truth coming out.

• Members

I dunno, Labine in that interview a few years back seemed burned out by the world of soaps and happy to be doing...whatever she's doing. Riche I believe had a lot of controversy with the ABC execs and was seen as difficult by the end--I can't see them rushing to get her back even if she wants to--although of course it is a largely different ABC team there now.

GH is still floating on pretty good hype from the soap press--related directly to RC/FV--this combined with the facts that right now I think all the networks are vastly unsure as to what to do with soaps and daytime programming (they're no longer as trigger happy as they seemed even a year back, but they don't seem exactly to be aggressively trying to bring them to full potential--which may be a good thing considering how badly network execs handled that the past while) means I don't see them trying to seek out a new EP or HW anytime soon unless ratings continue to fall for a while.

• Members

Really? Where have you recently heard Claire is still interested? I'm just surprised/sketpical because she's got to be well into her 70s and I felt like maybe she was happily out of the daytime grind. I see her more as retired then unemployed. I know, I know Agnes is at AMC now in her 80s but that was her life & her creation versus a three year job. With Wendy, I got the sense that she distanced herself from the soap biz when she was fired & had moved on but I could be wrong. She does seem to have a lot of love for her time there though although I do think her departure was not a particularly amicable one although that could be moot now.

They were a magical team at GH and I spent most the early & even mid 2000s hoping for their return but at some point it stopped feeling realistic. If FV can streamline the budget efficiently, I think he's here for the long haul/until ABC cans GH. Which probably means RC too although that might be a little less certain. I have 1000 problems with GH now--- Eric your point on nothing sticking from one ep to the next because nothing is memorable sums up my feeling perfectly--- but I can't bring myself to wish for "mercy killing." I have too much history & investment with the show and would still be profoundly sad to see it cancelled. Same as AMC, I was so over it in those later years but I kept up as much as I could tolerate out of nostalgia and love for the characters. And I think a cancelllation would be a blow to soaps in general when the whole soaps are dying narrative has finally started to turn around this year.

• Members

i grew up seeing GH and other soaps.. But now I just can't stand seeing my soap become a worse version of Passions and JER's Days.. And have it revolve around yet another unholy trio, yet it's worse since they are transforming GH into a clone of their version of OLTL

• Members

I admit, I still got enough stuff I loved out of the last year of AMC--maybe I was just in denial in some ways--that I never wanted to see it go. I have much less affection for GH, but of course I don't want a mercy killing.

I'm pretty sure Labine is retired, as you word it. While ultimately this means little in the grand scheme she (and her son?) was fired as ratings started to drop and people viewed the show as too depressing--and then a while later Riche was. I'm not sure if the people in charge of ABC Daytime now have enough history with that era to even think to go back to it, anyway. (Frons, to his partial credit, when he joined on, did actually sorta have the smarts--on some level--to do that. He quickly hired Griffith and Malone to OLTL--even though we now how that ultimately worked out--and, while he had staff writer rayfield at AMCD he obviously was trying to get a past HW back and hired McTavish. GH was seen in relatively decent shape so he didn't do anything there. Of course with OLTL and AMC he just brought in faves of his as EPs--well promoted Valentini--and I think that was partly because he saw himself as the real EP of the show and that played a huge part in it not really working.)

I'm glad you agree about even with all this f uckery, and WTF stuff, nothing really is memorable. I know it's silly, but honestly when I am falling asleep or daydreaming or whatever, scenes from recent AMC and OLTL episodes will come up in my head--but I actually have to work very hard to remember what I just saw on GH an hour ago.

Archived