James Gandolfini Dead at 51

Ann_SS

• Members

Surprised to hear this. I got sick of the Sopranos in season 2, but Gandolfini was a charismatic actor who knew how to make Tony sympathetic while not forgetting the darker side of the character. I often wish the Sopranos had just run that one season as it showed all sides to the character, whereas everything else began to be padding.

I remember the college scouting trip with Meadow and Tony which was the first time we truly saw Tony as a violent animal, and Gandolfini was wonderful. And his complex, slightly flirtatious scenes with Dr. Melfi, and his scenes with Livia, who wound him into a complete breakdown. I also enjoyed his relationship with Carmella in that first season, where they were growing apart, but still loved each other.

There really would have been no Sopranos without him.

I saw In the Loop a few years ago, which was a somewhat dated satire on the Iraq War that wasn't a tenth as clever as it wanted to be, but it was nice to see him in a biting comedic role.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can say your bullshit til the cows come home, it doesn't change the fact that since you are on a message board with the cozy feeling of not having to deal with a reaction face to face, you gave yourself carte blanche to just needlessly and without provocation display a belligerent attitude for no reason whatsoever just because you can and perhaps you were in a bad mood.

Archived