May 27-31, 2013: Great Week For Soaps; DAYS Hits 2 Year High

Toups

• Members
Agreed. I'm especially happy for doolfan who has been on a mission to let everyone know how good it has been. A one person cheer squad.

And GH fans shouldn't be discouraged. Not at all. Days' success just proves there is always the chance to turn things around. They are achieving all this without a huge 50th anniversary push with all the promotion and press. And without hijacking popular characters from another show. And most importantly! NO [!@#$%^&*] VAMPIRES! So it CAN be done.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I pretty much feel EXACTLY the same way. Because of Dool being the soap I grew up with, in some way I'm glad for their success, but I'm hoping for the direction of MANY stories to change. The only thing I can stomach is the upcoming Marlena/Kristen/Brady/Nicole/Eric story.

• Members

They probably won't. They tend to have a big rise and then fall. I'm mostly impressed they keep even that pattern going, as the conventional wisdom is that the show is unworthy compared to the others.

• Members

DAYS historically has gotten a big boost from story reveals (remember the baby switch) only to see it sink lower and lower until the next "plan to save DAYS" emerges. I still root for it because I was a huge fan a long, long time ago, but I never really trusted that anyone could stay dead after the Melaswen cop it and the rating stunt of killing Bo/Hope's baby. That said, clearly Sony knew what it was doing when it traded ED back to DAYS. I just hope they have a good follow-up story for her.

• Members

I agree that Days' ratings go up and down faster than a meteriologist changes weather reports. But I'm still glad the show is doing well.. I really hope they continue to have sustained slow growth (both in rating and quality). Everybody has their opinion to characters & stories we all either like or don't like.. but I am really glad for the direction of the show right now.

• Members

If NBC doesn't make Lorriane Broderick co-head writer of DAYS they are ridiculous. Everything about last week DAYS was so Broderickesque.It was deep emotional character driven writing. It was classic Broderick moments galore. She has been a fabulous addition to he writing staff of DAYS. Her writing/dialgoue is superb. She needs the promotion now because this is so her writing I am seeing. Anyone else wanting Broderick co-head writer of DAYS?

• Members

Yay for DAYS! As for "conventional wisdom" and the "soap press" or what not, they are all behind DAYS right now too. There was enormous outcry across the online soap press on Twitter at that Higley/McPherson rumor a couple weeks back, and praise for Tomsell and Broderick.

doolfan is far from a one-person cheer squad, although doolfan has been telling everyone how good DAYS is, yes, and I too extend my nod of appreciation and recognition to doolfan. But we have had many positive posts on this board, especially in the DAYS thread, for months, from a lot of people.

The DAYS of today is not stunt-driven or plot-driven, it is character-driven. Reveals pay off because they cap off things that have been legitimately builidng in the characters. That is why the ratings can and do go up, and it is something that can at least be sustained during the all-critical sweeps periods -- because there was something real leading up to it.

I think GH is pretty good too right now.

• Administrator

Way to go DAYS! It was well deserved and expected since there were climaxes to two storylines.I think it would've been better, ratings wise, if they saved one for the next week. They wasted two shots on one week instead of firing a big shot one week and another big shot the week after. But I guess they were going for their Emmy tape next year.

I think you're giving too much credit to Lorraine and this is coming from a guy who gave back his Tomlin fan card back in January. Other than writing breakdowns and doing layouts during conference calls, you don't know what else she's contributing.

• Members

I agree. I appreciate Lorraine Broderick and think she can be great, but I doubt she has THAT much influence. There are also several great script-writers who more than do their job. I'd give them far more credit for getting characters right. There's a lot of people right now at DAYS who are finally, for the first time in a long time, apparently gelling together and putting out a pretty solid production.

Days will drop, all shows, daytime and primetime, drop and ebb and flow but I think it's great they increased so much and it's being raved about. But as a long-time fan, I know like others have said, they sometimes do a great reveal but then the followup is poor and it becomes an unwatchable mess (I think March/April was mostly pretty poor after the good Nick/Gabi wedding in January), so ... I hope they keep it up because I've been really enjoying DAYS again. Even when I didn't mind the show (MarDar/Sheffer -- to me they weren't dreadful but not great either, but the enjoyment wasn't the same), I feel like I'm enjoying it like I used to now, and not out of habit, so it's nice to go back to feeling like that.

Archived