AMC: Monday, May 20, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Flashes of brilliance but mostly a mediocre episode ... Letdown after the great Wednesday and Thursday of last week.

Denyse Tontz can sing but I don't really care.

So Cara is definitely hiding her baby from David because she doesn't want him raising the baby and twisting its mind.

Liked the chastity of Pete/Celia scenes; could have done without the music montage of Celia trying on a bunch of costumes. Wish we had seen them actually at some clubs.

Good Bianca/JR confrontation. I don't know, though, why Bianca makes it out like she and Miranda had been a committed family for years, instead of barely having even admitted their feelings and gotten together, when Marissa was shot.

Not impressed by the preview. Disappointed by Opal in that. AJ's story seems like it could be a poor version of an afterschool special -- hopefully there will be more depth than that because it's a real issue, the pressure that athletes and young people think they face to cheat, to have a certain build or perform better on the field.

• Members

I think the fact that Marissa was shot and killed while they were in the blissful first stages of their relationship is probably why Bianca is acting this way. I remember once reading that Elizabeth Taylor said that her 3rd husband Mike Todd was one of her greatest loves, and I think that had to do with the fact that he died in a plane crash while they were still in love and happy together. In a way, your feelings for someone at the time they die remain the same. It's hard to explain, but I think given the fact that she died right at the newness stage of their emotions, plus witnessing her dying (i'm guessing in her arms) makes Bianca's current feelings make sense. Plus, both Bianca/marissa were lured to the Chandler mansion by a text message from Scott, that he denied sending.. so I'm to believe that JR had intentions of killing both, or one of them. Plus, JR stated some homophobic statements to their face and to others as the show on ABC winded down. So Bianca is pissed at JR for killing her girlfriend and also because of it was done partly as a hate crime.

I'm not happy with more story/airtime for AJ so I agree with you on him.

Rebecca Taylor wrote the episode, and she was known for not being the strongest of script writers. Though she's a little better then Chip Hayes, imho.

Jfung, N. Gail Lawerence wrote last weeks Thursday episode.. and she wrote scripts for GL from 1984 through 1993.

• Members

Im seeing Cara in a triangle with David and JR. soon. If so.. eventually JR will end up trying to Marissa her. Id rather David emotionally blackmail Cara into the bed..then for her to be Marissa dead. Accidental murderer with blocked out memories, or the Krystal Carey drugger.. oh brother. LOL

• Members

The truth is that Pratt (and to a lesser extent, Brown and Esensten) took a hatchet to Jesse almost immediately after his return from the dead. I never bought that he would just roam the Earth for twenty years because he thought his family was threatened. Jesse had been through a lot; he would've and should've tried to make contact with someone he knew, somewhere. I didn't buy it. But what was worse was what Pratt did - claiming that "on the run, always hunted" Jesse had not been quite so on the run, and instead gone deadbeat on not only one but two women and children, shacking up with another woman - and yes, a white woman - in his spare time and then abandoning her and his illegitimate daughter as well. I thought that whole storyline played on at least half a dozen horrible, ancient stereotypes and just did a real number on Jesse's character. So the Lucy/Maya mess was just another link in the chain - this Jesse is not the man Angie married all these years ago.

I love Angie and Jesse, and I want them back together again forever someday, but this man has continually lied to her and alienated her. She doesn't know the man he is today, and I think that's something they're touching on again now. The fact is that if the show had gone on on ABC, I absolutely believe that sooner or later David and Angie would've fallen into bed and been justified in doing so vis a vis Lucy. I think it's going to happen now, too, and I think it's perfect. I love the alt-pairings of David/Angie and J.R./Cara, I think they're excellent while also loving the Hubbards and David/Cara. I think everything is just so full of possibilities.

The Pete/Celia musical montage? Silly, but I've seen it so many times on soaps that I can't mind it. It was cute enough and better than her talking too much. I liked the music.

The A.J./Miranda stuff was lovely - that song worked a lot more than I thought it would, particularly DT's performance, acting it. And I loved Bianca tearing into J.R. Eden Riegel delivered that "bullshit" perfectly.

Billy Clyde! Bring him on. I just wish the David/Angie scene at the house had been longer.

• Members

Differences of opinions make sense but I don't get how you can praise GH's teen story and hate on AMC's--the use of violence is ok in GH's take because Felix told TJ off, but because AJ hit Hunter for, IMHO a far worse offence to a woman it's still not ok?

Denyse can sing. It was a lame song, but she can sing.

• Members

I feel like you're putting your own spin on what I wrote. Generally on this board it seems like when someone isn't hating on most of GH, and dares to like the show, it's unacceptably positive and invites mockery, attack, or allegations of inconsistency. Not that you are attacking but I do feel my words were twisted (I'm sure not intentionally).

I didn't "praise the teen story" on GH; I mentioned some things I liked about it as part of a long post mentioning quite a few other things. In that post, I in fact specifically said I'm "not a super fan" of the teens on GH. The way I feel about the teens on GH is similar to AMC -- there are bits to like and bits not to like -- except the teens aren't the center of the story on GH and I think the TJ/Molly/Rafe actors are better actors already than Eric Nelsen. The use of violence was not shown to be okay in GH with the teens -- TJ got punished for it because Molly ended up dumping him and it was clearly shown to be wrong. There were major consequences. You didn't have an AJ like situation where he kept saying it was the right thing to do to Hunter and where the audience was expected to agree.

If you read my posts, you know I am always hating on violence in soaps (including Dante on GH, who you defended when I criticized him if you recall, and on DAYS, Sonny, who I like a lot otherwise, and Daniel) when it is glorified. TJ's certainly was not glorified.

By the way, I think last Thursday was written by Rebecca Taylor too, not N. Gail Lawrence, but it was good. I don't think Taylor is a bad scriptwriter. It's the overall stories that are mediocre, and sometimes the dialogue writers can rise above them but other times they can't.

Great point about Bianca's feelings for Marissa being frozen from when Marissa died and more intense because they were new, Soaplovers.

• Members

Sorry to be betraying PP, Hula, Agnes and the entire African American race but I am not watching same-day.

Ooooooh---it was so good when Bianca slapped the [!@#$%^&*] out of JR! And her "bullshit!" moment was great as well. However, everything else had me rolling my eyes. I liked what she was saying but ER is definitely not a fave of mine (even though I totally accept her in the part). I can't make up my mind on whether JR is faking his amnesia or not (I would be inclined to think that he is) but I'm loving RB. It was so nice that they had AJ listen to Bianca's tirade and how that affected the ending scene.

Oh, Petey and Celia. They are being written and treated with such... innocence, naivete, that I can't help but just go along for the ride. Do we need a new Celia? Yes, pretty much so, unless she reveals a massive talent in playing crazy. But I can sorta deal with the story right now. Except for the montage. Please stop with that.

David and Angie have my heart.

Billy Clyde's protest was hilarious--and the church goer women is a sight to see!

I'm not exactly sure whether all the steps were followed to get to the point were Miranda would write a song for AJ and allow him to kiss her, when she clearly would not just the other day. But it was a nice, sweet scene/kiss and you just cannot resist a well-written teen romance.

Archived