The Call

Eric83

• Members

Has anyone seen this movie? I loved it. It had my on the edge of my seat and Halle and Abigail Breslin gave great performances. So many twists and turns I had no idea how it was going to end.

I recommend everybody see this.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm pretty sure she's not the only one to have received an award for a performance that may not have merited one. I'm not sure that I've seen or heard of anyone else that was as highly criticized as she was for an award that she didn't give herself, but perhaps there is someone out there who has been given more criticism.

The blame lies with the Academy and she did what most would have done....she took her gift. The only other thing she could have done was said she didn't deserve it had she felt so and then taken it. I don't begrudge her at all for getting it and I think it's sad that so much hatred was directed at her instead of at the people who voted for her since people felt so strongly about it.

• Members

The Academy has been handing out Oscars like chicklets lately, and HB is no exception only that there was a specific undertone that year - Affirmative Action, something that has failed Corporate America since its inception. Halle has only done Razzie worthy work, so for her to take home that statue while Angela gets nothing as Tina Turner and Viola is still sitting on the Oscar sidelines while these 20 year olds take home a stature cuts me to the core!

• Members

Hey, hey, hey, dammit! I have you know that she did a wonderful job in Introducing Dorothy Dandridge* and earned every bit of those accolades.

*I'm well aware that that was a TV movie, but it was one of her best performances on-screen.

As for Angela Bassett, she's all but spelled it out that she hasn't gotten her just due because she refuses to play the same games that her peers (age-wise) have opted to in Hollywood. I wish that she was able to walk that tightrope as well as Denzel Washington does, but the odds are stacked against her as an outspoken Blacktress over the age of 50 (even if she does look a good 10 years younger).

• Members

I don't see what Angela Bassett and Viola Davis not getting Oscars has to do with Halle Berry getting one. Is the argument that if Halle Berry got one because of Affirmative Action then those two should get one as well?

I don't care for awards period unless they are based on something tangible such as test scores. Singling one person out above others in an arbitrary manner probably does more all around damage than good. They can have big parties and celebrate their existence in some other way, as far as I am concerned. That said, if I won an Oscar I would say "thank you" and be on my way. It's not Halle Berry's doing.

She doesn't deserve (nor does anyone else) to be subjected to animosity for winning an award. And it's not as if that award even did wonders for her either. Nor would it do anything for either Viola Davis or Angela Bassett except the Oscar winner reference. Jennifer Hudson hasn't catapulted to big heights with her Oscar win, but that's not really my point anyway. I find the negativity a complete waste.

My opinion is simple. Halle Berry was decent in that movie but it was not an award worthy performance. Angela Bassett is a very good actress but she looks angry in every movie I can recall seeing. Or maybe it's just a really serious expression. I don't see either movie for which Viola Davis was nominated.

But I would think that people would complain that one or more of the other nominated actresses were robbed when Halle Berry won and not that some other two actresses that weren't even in contention with her, haven't gotten an Oscar and she has. So she got an Oscar because she's black and they haven't gotten an Oscar because they're black.

Does that tightrope walking include his telling Barbara Walters that he deserves and Oscar for his performance and if Al Pacino wins the Oscar then it will only be because he didn't win one for the role(s) he should have? That's pretty much what was said by some about the best actor Oscar that Denzel Washington did win. It's not that he is any more diplomatic than she is, he's just "bigger" than she is. And Hollywood is very much a "man's world."

• 3 months later...

Archived