OLTL: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Members

That doesn't surprise me at all. She's always been so high strung and I never bought the forced friendship with her and Blair. I can't blame her though! I wouldn't have even noticed if there wasn't so much hype and worrying about those words. I mean people certainly throw "bitch", "slut", and "whore" around casually enough on any soap.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think he may have just thrown out a number off the cuff. I read they are producing 210 episodes. 52 weeks. 4 per week. Should be 208.

Another thing. If these previews are any indication of what the weekly wrap ups will be like, I'm going to love them.

• Members

I've no idea why, but I'm not a fan of expletives being used in any form of scripted entertainment, save for plays. Perhaps it's because writers have the opportunity to be more thoughtful and witty on the page than we do in real-life circumstances? Again, I don't know.

• Members

I'm curious, why do you accept it in plays?

I agree, except when the character is absolutely someone who would curse in real life. I see so many primetime shows with these gruff leading men who say "Bullcrap!" or something similar and it just comes across so neutered.

• Members

I guess it comes down to the fact that plays are "live," with the actors performing before our very eyes, and not on some large projection or TV (or laptop, tablet, smartphone) screen? I've never analyzed exactly why.

• Members

When you see it on a stage (and you are actually there) it does seem for believable and less forced than on screen. I think most of the time cursing is for shock value. It should be used either as an emotional reflex (in the clip with Tea) or to enhance characterization (for better of for worse).

Archived