Y&R: November 2012 Discussion Thread

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Production designer Bill Hultstrom and Jessica Collins talk about Avery's apartment set.

It seems like Josh and Jill were very clear on what they wanted with this set and how they wanted it to look. I doubt (and know) Maria gave any thought to the production when she was there, which is why we got atrocious sh!t like GloWorm and Billy and Victoria's house.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f9dy6bdnDnI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

How is this the same set designers that created Billy and Victoria's house? That sh!t was ALL Maria's terrible taste.

The production has improved tremendously on the show. I think JFP deserves ALL credit for that. Even the background music people complained about a month ago is barely that noticeable now. If only she had a more dynamic HW so the stories were more interesting...

• Members

If we can't have Alden or Smith back, Griffith is the next best thing. The show can't always be gripping, edge-of-your-seat drama with twists and turns and OMG!!! cliffhangers, or you'll wind up with the kind of show MAB produced. In its heyday Y&R was known for long periods where nothing much happened but the dialogue and character moments made it worth watching. And I think the current team is doing a great job with those things.

Ideally I would like Jack Smith to join Griffith as a co-HW. He did a great job of modernizing the show last time he was there.

• Members

Says who? While I can't say anything Griffith has done has been as destructive as Maria/Hamner/Sheffer and Latham, there's just no real "pop" to his stories. Maybe it's still too early in his tenure, but it's not like he's had the most spotless track record either.

And I'm fine with that as long as I feel the build up and stories themselves are worth full investment - right now, I don't think much has potential to give me a big payoff a few months down the road.

Character moments are great, and I think Griffith has given us a few since he's taken over - but I need cohesive stories that I feel are going somewhere too.

It doesn't matter, I don't think anyone is in it to tell well-structured stories anymore (not that we'd get that from a Smith/Griffith team anyway).

Archived