Y&R Casting Hispanic Role

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That depends on how serious JG is about diversity for Y&R.

Cuz if he's as serious as the rest of the soap writers of the past decade then BU would be on all the time since alot of people just looks at her and see white same with Natalia Livingston and Adrianna Leon as other examples. It's like filling a diversity quota but at the same time the characters can be white/or pretend to be WASPS.

• Members

The way Dru was written by LML had me kind of conflicted. On the one hand, it seemed that Dru was one of her favorite characters because she was on practically everyday ... (unless you believe in conspiracies and thought this was some type of intentional character assasination attempt to make viewers hate the character enough to make it easier to writer her off, that is until VR chose to leave on her own choosing before they got the chance)

... and I believe that Victoria Rowell was probably at the top or near the top of the most episodes list before she was written off. BUT, I HATED LML's characterization of Dru. She turned Dru literally into the crazy black woman overnight and never looked back. I had to stop watching the madness before they soon actually put Dru in the loony bin and I only returned to watch her final episodes.

• Members

Dru did so much during LML's tenure and they were getting airtime, promo and the Winters were fully integrated into the canvas. It wasn't just Dru, but Devon, Lily and Neil as well. I appreciate that. Say what you will about LML, but she was very politically correct and one of the ways she showed that is how she featured the black characters on Y&R. It also paid off in the ratings. In fact, I'd say Victoria Rowell's exit and the declining ratings is probably a large reason she was fired. This was her most successful story and the lead actress was gone. I would love to have seen what she could do with Tonya Lee Williams as well.

• Members

LOL I honestly feel a lot of that was her giving Victoria Rowell more control to change things up and also we know K-O-L-A B-O-O-F was writing behind the scenes and she's taken credit for a lot of that stuff on Twitter. But yes LML was very PC. Remember one of Josh Griffith/MAB's first episodes had everybody drinking bottled water because LML wouldn't allow it on the show because it's bad for the environment. She had a lot of little issues like that, but I can't recall all of them right now.

• Members

Yes, you're right, I just don't really remember this character half the time because I don't feel as though she was a truly memorable character for me, I guess. She is one of those character that unless you were seriously following the show at that time, you'd probably not really remember much unlike Victoria Rowell or Eva Longoria.

I know people who didn't even watch Y&R know that Victoria and Eva were on that show. The Carmen Mesta character didn't make as deep an impression, I guess that's why I forgot.blush.png

Archived