GH: October 2012 Discussion Thread

• Members

Due to extenuating circumstances, I ended up watching a few minutes of this show today. I was just coming here to ask if Sam has some kind of valium addiction or if she's a chronic pot smoker because I've seen people more excited about getting free breadsticks with their pizza than Sam was to learn her kid was alive.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Fantasy endings in yesterday's episode - there were 4 cliffhangers: McBain showing up at Todd's, Jason telling Sam that he baby is alive, Heather showing up at Steve's, Anna/Duke reunion.

Finola was awesome today. Loved seeing the Duke/Anna flashbacks.

I agree that the Jason/Sam scenes felt flat.

• Members

IA about Todd. Here's the thing....I don't know if a rapist turned romantic hero is worse or a rape retroactively passed off as a "seduction" because rapist character was deemed popular as is the case with Luke Spencer and Gloria Monty decided that kind of popularity was worth more than any potential damage. I know people adore he. Fine she had moments of genius but at what cost? Young Genie Francis could have died from a drug addiction. At 17 she was playing "the seduced" rape victim. At least somebody saw fit to call it what it is when they did Elizabeth's rape s/l/ Between the contribution of women romanticizing rape in fictional love stories, movies, and in soaps.......

• Members

Agreed. But I can at least look at the retcon of Luke/Laura in historical context. Back then, people didn't have the understanding of rape that we do now. Date rape was unheard of. Now we know better. Except on soaps. And especially not on Ron Carlivati's soaps.

Todd Manning shouldn't even exist in the current genre but not only does he exist, we have viewers fighting over which lucky lady gets to receive the Hot Toddy next.

It's another reason I just wish these shows would just die already so we can get on with the next phase.

• Members

Before I say anything more, let me make this one point very clear: I'd never under any circumstances suggest that a woman never means "no" when she says it, or that a man should read her refusal as permission to continue. IRL, rape is rape, and "no" means just that.

However...

Marty's rape on ONE LIFE TO LIVE fits what I'd call the classic and standard definition of rape (and more specifically, acquaintance rape) because she clearly was not interested in Todd (aside from their one, previous sexual encounter, which ended awkwardly, to say the least) and was, in fact, intoxicated and therefore unable to defend herself at the Spring Fling, where Todd and his buddies had decided to "teach 'Marty the Party Girl' a lesson" for costing him his spot on the football team, or whatever. Same goes for SEARCH FOR TOMORROW's Sunny Adamson, who never invited nor appreciated the advances made by her attacker, Jack Benton; and who fought like hell (IIRC) to get away from him.

ETA: Chris Brooks' rape on Y&R (by George Curtis -- yes, played by Tony Geary) falls into this category, as does Julia's rape on SANTA BARBARA. (I don't count Bianca's rape on ALL MY CHILDREN, because that show was more concerned about a [!@#$%^&*] plot point than about a legitimate examination of rape.)

But Laura's rape on GH...? As much as I hate to say this, there's more of a gray area in that circumstance.

On the one hand, yes, Laura said "no" to Luke, and Luke should have backed away. I agree. Doesn't matter that he was drunk, that he thought her to be his "angel" and that he was slated to be killed by Frank Smith's goons. She said "no," pal, so hands off. But on the other hand, those who know only that incident and/or do not place it within the context of the ongoing drama don't realize...Laura didn't say "no" for the same reasons Marty and Sunny said "no." She didn't tell Luke "no," not because she wasn't interested sexually in him and didn't appreciate the fact that he was. She said "no," because Scotty was due any moment at the Campus Disco, where he was supposed to pick her up from her job.

Moreover, there's the fact that Laura had a history of being attracted to dangerous men (in particular, the guru she ran away from home to be with, and of course, David Hamilton -- a fact, by the way, Scotty brought up later when he learned how Laura lied about the facts of that "night in the park") and that, up to that point, Laura's dynamic with Luke had been a tug-of-war between her attraction to another "bad guy" so soon after getting married and not wanting to ruin the first real and healthy relationship she'd had in her young life. I'd never suggest that a rape victim's prior sexual history and psychology should be taken into account; however, in the case of fictional Laura Vining Webber Baldwin Spencer of equally fictional Port Charles, NY, it...kinda, sorta does. unsure.png

But whatevs. My point is, I think there's a difference (even if I'm having a heck of a time trying to explain it) and frankly, to lump Laura with rape victims both real and fictional is insulting to the latter, IMO, regardless of everything that came afterward.

• Members

If a man wants to have sex with a woman and she says "No" and he doesn't stop and at no point does she change her mind then it's rape. The reasons for her saying "No" are irrelevant and even if she said "No, not right now because my husband or my boyfriend is on his way," and he still proceeded then it's rape. "No" isn't a word that comes with a whole set of possibilities, it's a negative response.

Now, I totally get that the visuals are different and gang rape sounds infinitely worse than a single rape but at the end there is still a a rape victim.

Date or acquaintance rape is supposed to bring about the understanding that a person can be raped by someone he or she knows but I wonder if people don't brush it off as less severe. The fact that a victim may know the rapistt does not reduce the impact of the rape itself and probably increases the mental dvestation and adversely affects the ability to trust even the familiar.

Qualifying rape makes no sense to me if the end result is still rape. A person who is stabbed to death a hundred times dies in a more heinous and disturbing way than a person who dies after one bullet to the brain, but they were both killed and they are both dead so are we really going to say because one was less gruesome or traumatic that one wasn't much of a murder? So that one with the shot to the head isn't a murder victim as much or in the same way as the one who was stabbed multiple times.

Fictional characters and emotional moral issues. This is how society gets conidtioned into dismissing a whole lot of violence--especially against women. She asked for it, she wanted it even if she said she didn't, she wanted it before. Look how easy our scoiety makes it for wealthy men to be serial rapists.

On soaps though, it;s not about the criminal past or present of characters since all of that can be glossed over as long as you can generate a warm and fuzzy feeling by putting one of those criminals with the right romantic partner. They can make a serial killer sympathetic if he's cute and genrates heat withe whomever.

Archived