Y&R: Major character return in the works? SPECULATION

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally. I don't think 2 days a month is enough. I think they should actually give them stories just like they give everyone else stories. Same goes for some of the white characters who are rarely seen either. There's too many people on the backburner period.

Oh, and SFK. You just made me piss my pants with that Will Smith GIF. Thanks.

• Members

What I love about the above scene is that it shows the power of the black actor in black storylines. If you just look at the words on the page, it doesn't tip "black" or any other specific ethnicity. But in VR's mouth, it packs a very specific experience for every black woman who has ever been in the same position, and will hit home for the black viewer in a way that hearing yet another white character deliver such a monologue won't. I think everyone, of all ethnicities, religions, sexualities, what have you, deserves a chance at seeing "themselves" on screen.

• Members

Well, the words I chose to express those opinions...? Probably not the best. Nevertheless, the sentiments behind them stand. For all the talk of past, glorious treatment of AA characters and storylines at the hands of Y&R's TPTB, I believe that these same individuals have never, in fact, paid little more than proverbial "lip service" to them and to their AA-skewing viewing contingent. I mean, even ALL MY CHILDREN, IMO, depicted Blacks better on the whole, and those bastards actually had a Black pimp named Tyrone!

• Members

To me it's one of the main reasons. The other one is "let's use the same writers and EPs over and over again. Even if they suck!"

Daytime needs new blood.

To Khan:

They also made Randi a prostitute in the beginning. And, her pimp was an annoying greasy white dude named Fletcher. Good God. I couldn't stand that guy.

• Members

LMAO! You crack me up. Don't forget Y&R had a "Kong". As you know, naming a black male character after a fictional giant ape is always an exercise in good taste.

And just to be clear, I wasn't shooting down your opinion, just soaking in the profundity of it.

• Members

Hey, I didn't say AMC's track record with African-American characters was perfect, just better than Y&R's. If Randi had been on Y&R, she probably would have been illiterate and a ho.

I'm just saying, there's a reason why Agnes Nixon never would have conceived a story about a Black man going undercover as a White man in order to take down the mob. (And OLTL fans in the audience better not throw "Carla Grey" up at me, because y'all know that was different, lol.) In fact, I'd take Michelle Stafford spitting on every Black actor and crew member on the show over the likes of Tyrone, Jazz and Kong -- excuse me, Nathan -- any damn day.

Archived