Y&R: Major character return in the works? SPECULATION

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same. And yes, Veronica and Tonya (and practically every other African-American who has ever worked on Y&R) were handed a proverbial raw deal; and yes, their ethnicity had more than a little to do with that.

Y&R is a racist soap opera -- written, produced and directed by racist individuals -- and has been for quite some time. And yet...? Until recently, Black folks ate this [!@#$%^&*] up, for the simple fact that Victoria was a sistah and Shemar was a fine piece of ass. (Well, that, and because, like gay men, they (okay, we) have a yen for watching campy melodramas about rich white people with no home training.)

Y&R made its legacy off the devoted following of individuals who were too damned ignorant to see through the b.s. and realize what TPTB really thought of them; and if they aren't happy with the way the AA experience is being handled now on their show, they have only themselves to blame.

• Members

I don't think Y&R is the only racist soap either. There's a reason I've started to call the setting of General Hospital "Port Crackerville"

They have 3 AA characters. And, they rarely get airtime.

Oooh, thanks Dee. I'll have to see if my library can get me her book. :) (They probably don't have it in because I live in the sticks. LOL)

• Members

She hasn't said that and she hasn't mentioned the spitting incident in years. Fans have discussed it, but she is over it. Also, I think a major issue is that Stafford even admits to discussing it with OTHER people, but why not Rowell? That's why I think something was going on. I don't think it's necessarily racism, or intentional racism, but it's possible she and Rowell weren't getting along and she viewed it more as a prank. I don't think she immediately got the racist connection, but she certainly meant it as a way to mess with Rowell, otherwise she would've mentioned it to her (like she did others). Soaps can't afford re-takes especially once Rowell complains and stops the scene. You would always run something like that across your screen partner.

• Members

No. But, it's very rare when they do. I think Epiphany has popped up twice in the past 3 months. Shawn was on a few times the past month. And, so was TJ (both the old one and the recast) I'll have to look at the year-to-date cast appearences so far. I'll do that tomorrow. I'm way too out of it tonight to go and try to see if I can find that list.sad.png

It's not that they get no airtime either. It's just very little airtime. I remember the cast of GH being alot more diverse during the Labine/Riche and Guza/Riche years than it is now.

• Members

I had to actually think for a minute and remind myself that Ephiphany is on GH because I couldn't think of the 3 AAs on GH. The latino presence on GH sucks too, well mostly for the latinos playing openly latino characters. They are perfectly fine with Latinos who they can write as white characters.

• Members

Yeah. There's barely any diversity at all over there. There used to be Latino characters/AA characters/Asian characters, etc. Now it's Port Crackerville.

And, I miss Piph being on alot. She gets people working! When she's around there was no "Let's stand around here and not do our jobs" It was do your job. Or, face Piph. But, she also had this loving side to her. I rewatched the episodes where she found out Stan was dead on SN not too long ago. And, it was so sad. She just broke down so much that she had a heart attack and collapsed clutching the urn with his ashes in it. :( Really good drama..and really so sad.

• Members

DeeeDee doesn't want you to dig up that list for "concrete proof". She was making a blatantly bitchy dig at me because I earlier asked her to provide concrete proof that Michelle Stafford spit on VR because she's racist.

She still hasn't provided it, by the way.

Archived