Sharon Osbourne slams NBC, explains AGT exit

DaytimeFan

• Members

According to an interview with the New York Post, Sharon Osbourne explains the reason she is quitting America's Got Talent because NBC fired Jack Osbourne from a reality show shortly after he explained his diagnosis with multiple sclerosis, even after he offered to buy his own life and medical insurance.

http://www.deadline....reality-series/

http://www.nypost.co...M#ixzz22micSsBm

Yet another blunder by NBC who have called this scenario all wrong, Sharon's right, they could have sold Jack as "doing the impossible" or however else you want to spin someone with MS doing military exercises.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can see why she quit, after they treated Jack that way, but I wonder if this is going to hurt their income a lot, which Jack will need to help pay for his expenses. I thought she was very well paid for AGT.

Was this going to be a highly physical show? In that case I can sort of understand NBC's reasons, but if he did agree to pay his own way, they should have accepted.

• Members

But here's the thing... MS is something that can affect coordination, and he could be seriously injured if it's something intensely physical. And not just that, if these physical challenges involve teams or partners, then there is possibility of him causing injury to someone else.... they did say that the show involves challenges with live ammunition, and with that.. MS is definately an issue. And Jack has GOT to be having significant symptoms, because those are almost always present with people who have been diagnosed. They did say they offered him alternate roles on the show, but he refused. I think NBC did the safe and reasonable thing, it's not like they were keeping him from Celebrity apprentice.. this is very PHYSICAL show. I honestly think Jack is being selfish wanting to be on it, when he'd be putting others and himself at risk.

EDIT: I just did some more research, and found that he had been having numbness in his legs and partial blindness, among other things.. NBC did the right thing, IMO. It's sad and tragic... but I think Sharon needs to accept it, and realize that he has to work within his limitations.

• Members

Add me to the group that is on NBC's side on this. I think Jack and Sharon are being unreasonable. They offered him other positions. Jack has a serious disease that affects the mobility of his entire body and his eyesight (things that would be essential in a competition show like that) and I think it showed sensitivity on NBC's part to not exploit him and that disease for potential ratings.

It's like putting Michael J. Fox on a show where you get body blows for stuttering. They're not discriminating against him. They're doing the right thing. Hopefully both Jack and Sharon calm the bleep down and see that with a little more time. I know this is especially fresh for Sharon as she's still falling to pieces wheneve she talks about Jack's condition. I had an MS scare recently - I've been having MS like issues since getting my first two shots for Hepatitis B - so it hits close to home and I really do feel for both of them.

Archived