GH: Valentini answers burning questions

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But it's not the character's image being used, it's the actor's. They could show a photo of anybody and call it "Natalie."

But if PP owns the rights to the CHARACTERS (as opposed to the actors) then don't they own the rights to "Todd" and "Starr" too? Just like they own Blair, Tea and John?

• Members

I don't believe a word that comes out of that rat bastard's mouth, but why does Frank feel the need to explain why he can't get OLTL characters on GH? Spend the little time you have writing GH, moron! I DON'T CARE ABOUT OLTL!

I really wish ABC cared about this show because if they did, Frank and his boyfriend would be gone by now. The audience sure drew the short straw with that wretched duo! Hate them!

• Members

Yeah, their obvious lack of interest in GH is sad. I've said it before and I'll say it again: regardless of what one thinks of their endings, both AMC and OLTL were ended by people who cared about the shows, their history and their audience. GH isn't going to get that. GH is being scavenged for parts.

• Members

LMAO it continues he has NO reason to lie about this.

But knowing the audience is outraged, rabid, and wants to see Pine Valley and Llanview again … are you exploring any options such as a special, a mini-series, or something to in part satisfy them in some way?

VICKI: There have been a lot of conversations about if there is something we could do and we are exploring that. When the Prospect Park deal was blowing up, I know the fans were so looking forward to those shows being online and the actors were too, of course. I know it was a huge disappointment, and it was a huge disappointment for us too. We were looking at that as that would be the continuation of the characters.

But don’t the rights soon revert back to ABC?

VICKI: They do. Basically it is a year after. So soon they will be back in our hands and then we have to figure out what we are going to do.

http://michaelfairma...rns/2012/07/29/

• Members

this is the real reason, it was said a long while ago that PP had the rights for a year after the shows went off the air, they own the rights to everything but the actor's, which means even ABC has to get their permission if they want to use Blair, Tea, etc....

• Members

It's very convenient that this was only mentioned months and months after people wondered what was going on with the actors.

These people blame anything and everything for their failures. I just don't believe anything they say. But if you do, so be it.

• Members

Okay, let me see if I understand this:

• PP owns the license to the characters from AMC/OLTL. These rights last for one year after the final episode of these shows aired.
  • PP has to give GH permission to use any of those characters which, I assume, is done for a fee of some kind. According to a source that I don't see named in this thread PP will only "let" GH use three characters.
  • To date, GH has used the OLTL characters of Todd, John, Blair, Tea, Starr, Cole and Hope for various lengths of time whether a few eps to full on cast additions. That's seven characters.
  • PP is exercising some influence over whether GH can bring on the character of Natalie that they didn't exercise with any of the seven characters listed above.
  • ME, FL and KDP all "signed" with PP as did MA. RH and KA did not. Nor did the actors who played Cole and Hope.
  • The contracts that any and all of the actors who signed with PP were never ratified/approved by the union so those contracts are not in effect, therefore PP has absolutely no say in what the actors do whether on ABC or anywhere else.

Is that an accurate summary of the information as it stands? Am I missing anything?

• Members

Roger was in negotiations but didn't sign before the thing collapsed. Kristen was, AFAIK, a free agent in L.A. and everyone expected Starr to be recast at some point or left in California with Cole.

I think the truth is somewhere between the official statement and the Internet spec. I think they paid in full to use ME and get him out of whatever deal was in place, but they won't do the same for anyone else signed to PP.

• Members

I think the reality is that Melissa Archer doesn't want to come to GH just to have Natalie and her kid dumped by McBain and then shoved off. And really, why should she?

This PP stuff makes no sense. If this were truly about PP having the rights to the characters, it wouldn't matter which actors did or didn't sign with them since it's the characters that are allegedly at issue. The actor contracts never took legal effect anyway since PP has no agreement with the sanctioning union. The 3 character at a time ceiling doesn't wash either since at one point, Cole, Hope, Starr, Todd, Blair, and John were all on within the same week.

Archived