dragonflies

NBC poised to fire Ann Curry from the Today show

Here's an interesting quote that Lauer recently made:

"The show is not where I want it to be right now," Lauer said. "The ratings are not where I want them to be. I want to make it better and I want to reinvigorate the show in some ways that perhaps we have let up on in the past couple of years."

In other words, Matt concedes that the show lacks freshness, but--at the same time--feels that it is essential he stay!

Personally, I think one of the biggest problems with Today is that the brand has been diluted with unnecessary third and fourth hours. (Though I acknowledge that I a lot of people seem to like Kathie Lee and Hoda.) When it comes to morning shows, two hours is clearly the optimal length.

By the way, I think it can be safely said that a possible fifth hour of Today (that many feared) won't be happening in the forseeable future.

Edited by Max

Good grief I cant stand that arrogant jerk. Of course he couldn't possibly be part of the lack of freshness could he?

Wasn't he not long ago bragging about that Professionals segment they have with Star Jones?

Despite the slips, the Today show is a known brand and is still the most profitable show on TV. Frankly the 4 the hour of Hoda and Kathie Lee is the most entertaining

Edited by JaneAusten

At least she's not letting them paint her as the bad one, which they were probably hoping to do.

This type of thing is why NBC has lost millions of viewers - they are arrogant, elitist, and clumsy.

The Today Show has not had any real warmth in a long time. Matt Lauer is pompous and fake. Ann Curry doesn't put on the smarm enough, the way Couric or Lauer did, so she's a scapegoat. Weren't there rumors Lauer pushed Meredith Viera out too? I think he just wants someone under his thumb.

The today show did have warmth, and it died when Jane Pauley left.

Perky Katie was always praised for warmth, but it never felt real to me. I think that's why the show became so hard and cold as she and Matt aged, whereas Bryant and Jane always seemed to have genuine affection for each other.

Perky Katie was always praised for warmth, but it never felt real to me. I think that's why the show became so hard and cold as she and Matt aged, whereas Bryant and Jane always seemed to have genuine affection for each other.

I think Katie was perky and spunky and she had chemistry with Lauer. That worked for a while. Meredith Viera was an improvement to me.I've always found her likable and more authentic than most of the clowns she's had to work with all these years including many idiots at The View. I think Ann Curry just didn't work but I do think shed be more successful as a. Ightly anchor than Katie was because she comes across much more serious. Maybe CBS will take her on for 60 minutes.

Hoda's wonderful, she is also dynamite with Kathie Lee...really, the most enjoyable hour of The Today Show is the Kathie Lee and Hoda one.

Poor Ann, she's just being thrown under the biggest bus.

Oh yeah, Hoda is wonderful and she'd do a great job with George, but I don't want to see her leave Kathie Lee. They're the best part.

I agree. Poor Ann. :(

If it wasnt for Hoda and Kathy Lee, then how would we get gems like this?

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

and this

<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/AtlY3BrJwxlp-ELEjH7ZDg"></param><param'>http://www.hulu.com/embed/AtlY3BrJwxlp-ELEjH7ZDg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/AtlY3BrJwxlp-ELEjH7ZDg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="288" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Edited by Cheap21