Carolyn Hinsey Tweets About OLTL: LIES Or TRUTH?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL returns depending on GH makes no sense ABC saw OLTL were highest rated at the time of cancellation, ABC should have uncancelled it and cancelled GH.

GH is not going to get the great storytelling and ratings OLTL got cause their lead characters revolving around mobsters most of all are awful.

• Members

Didn't ABC sell off everything that was OLTL? Sets. Wardrobe. Yes, those things could obviously be replaced but it's an added expense to get the show back up and running if they were to do that....which I don't think is happening. I'd give anything to see a trimmed down version of OLTL with the right characters, but why would ABC go thru the expense to launch another drama when they can do a cheap game show instead of a talk show?

• Members

Marc Berman, who has no agenda where soaps are involved, did say he kept hearing about GH in primetime. Maybe what Hinsey means is that if GH is successful, ABC will look at OLTL in some way. Perhaps that means primetime episodes during the summer. Maybe a 13 episode order from a primetime continuation. Or maybe more episodes or something. It would be smart for ABC to look at, but I doubt anything will happen.

Last season ABC announced it was looking for low-cost scripted programming for friday nights, which would've been perfect for soaps. A nice AMC spin-off could've pulled enough eye balls to work on a friday.

• Members

As much as I can't stand this woman, I'm not going to blame her for some folks' gullibility in believing that OLTL is coming back or that GH will be "saved". She's shown herself to be a hack of a 'columnist/journalist' so many times that people should know better by now.

The fact that some may take her world as gospel is their own fault, as even Stevie Wonder can see that she is trying to hold on to the crumbs of relevancy that she has left.

• Members

Unfortunately, GH now has the same storytelling as OLTL's last years - stall, stall, stall, jump up and down, to avoid actually developing characters or plotlines (the WTD story with Sam, which will now be nothing more than an eternity of her anxiously hiding the truth from Jason). Point and laugh for some cheap chuckles, to avoid actually dealing with problem characters/actors (Comedy Connie, the funniest child killer around).

That writing did nothing for OLTL's ratings, aside from a few months in 2011, and won't do anything for GH.

• Members

The whole ratings argument is perplexing to me. I mean I am happy for OLTL fans that most were happy with the writing under RC but did OLTL ever surpass 1.0 in key demos. It's much like maybe B&B peaking for a few months in a way. Yet they are praised to death. What happened at Days was much more commendable as they

surged for a longer period of time with no huge names on canvas, no big returns like OLTL got with RH, and managed to get a renewal out of NBC as a result of that and I assume budget cuts. Yet Gary Tomlin and his return to Days is looked at by many as the devil returning.

• Members

I think it's the timing, mostly. The show's ratings were up (on all time lows) at the time it was canceled, so that got hoopla. The ratings fell, and the ratings were awful for most of RC's stint as headwriter. As they are now awful for GH.

• Members

The question for me is does Carolyn Hinsey want to promote her agenda of keeping the genre alive by getting more OLTL fans to watch GH, or is she delusional enough to actually believe what she's saying?

0% chance of a legitimate source telling her this, but I'd give the other two options 50/50.

• Members

The sad thing is that there are plenty of delusional soap crazies out there that would believe such a statement.

Honestly, should Cartini's GH ever become a ratings hit, it would be far more appropriate to bring Passions back. That "soap" is custom made for the s#it Ron loves to peddle on a daily basis.

Archived