Whitney Houston dead at 48!

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It reminds me of when Luther Vandross died and Bruce Villanch wrote that he was "in the life" and they'd had a conversation about what revealing that would mean for his career. This is of course an issue worth discussing, but I don't know how I feel about people jumping to reveal! mere days after a person has passed.

• Members

Which is crazy ironic seeing as how the most gays in church on Sunday morning are probably black. If she was struggling with her feelings for Robyn/sexuality in general, that may have been a part of it, but that wouldn't explain Bobby's issues. I think they honestly liked to party and it soon got WAY out of hand and extrememly dangerous/destructive/disgusting.

• Members

I don't want to go OT, let's keep this on Whitney, but on the subject of homosexuality, drug abouse, and the black church, you may be interested in the Billy Preston episode of Unsung. Molestation was also involved, so that's a whole 'nother issue, but...

• Members

I imagine Clive Davis had a lot to do with it as well, since he likes to keep people on a very tight leash. I know there were also rumors about Taylor Dayne, and he later used her as some cautionary tale (although that was for her music, not any sexuality).

• Members

Yes, Clive is like that, Carl. That's the main reason that Martha only recorded one album for Arista... her exact words about Clive were "That man ain't gonna tell me how to sing!" And Taylor Dane is very open now, and has been for quite some time. Thanks, SFK... i'll watch that Billy Preston unsung... that's a great series. I acutally think at some point Robyn is gonna spill the beans, and lay the whole thing out in the open... I would almost lay money on Seeing Robyn do an exclusive with Barbara Walters.

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

I think Whitney's issues were mostly related to success, being an instant success at 21 and then going on to be an industry icon puts brings a lot of pressure to meet expectations. If you think about it, it would be scary to shoot to the level of success Whitney was had at the very height of her career, that is a lot to take on and an escape of some sort would be necessary for some.

• Members

That looks like some looky-loo recorded that on their phone and couldn't wait to sell it once she passed. I won't be surprised if security footage of her last trips to the drug and grocery stores starts popping up.

I read that Whitney was named after Whitney Blake from Hazel, Meredith Baxter Birney's mother, but I just read that she was named after a character on a sixties soap opera. Only Whitney I can think of is Raven Whitney and she came much later. Carl, anyone, any ideas? Geraldine Whitney Saxon?

Edited by SFK

• Members

I read years ago that she was named after Blake, so I think that is who is really was named after. Someone may have confused "Hazel" as a soap opera, since it is one of those sitcoms that many haven't heard of before.

Edited by ReddFoxx