The Culliton's?

• Members

They did apparently work fairly close together--and Agnes was ousted until she returned (at least at first) during McTavish's run. I thought he showed a ton of potential, and he was left with lots of crap from Passanante, but there was a problem with characters disappearing and dropped stories. Still, he deserved a much longer chance than he got, and it was inane to replace him how they did.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Patrick Mulcahey talks about Carly's creation on GH here: http://www.sarahbrown.net/sid99.html

He inferred that Culliton, who took over soon after Guza created Carly, didn't have the same idea of who the character should be as Guza. It seems Carly's development was more of a group effort, with Mulcahey and Elizabeth Korte doing most of the grunt work for her development.

The legend has always been that Marland outlined things very far in advance, with Carly being part of his plans. Though, true, it would have to have been Culliton that was part of her initial development when she debuted.

• Members

Carly seemed to be an experimental character, at least in the beginning. Guza might have had the initial idea for her, but her development was more of a team effort.

I've heard some even speculate that the character was being tossed around when the Labine's were at GH. So, it might not have been Guza who initially thought up the character at all.

• Members

I'm actually surprised he didn't write them out immediately - I wonder if RIche intervened.

It's funny to realize that the things which got him so much praise at the time, like Jax, were not even his ideas. I guess he changed some of it (Jax was initially supposed to be with Lois), but give how poorly characterized, boring, and stilted his writing was on Sunset Beach and when he returned to GH in late 1997, I just can't believe he had any strong ideas for GH. Yet he was supposed to be some savior compared to Richard Culliton. That annoyed me then and it really annoys me now.

• Members

The Sonny/Brenda/Jax triangle that lasted a million years (or it appeared that way) seemed to be Guza's authentic idea.

Guza didn't seem to know what to do with Lois, but really, she seemed like a totally Labine character anyway.I know Rena Sofer complained about the writing for the character after Labine left. Of course, Rena went on to become poison in primetime....

• Members

I'm not a big Rena Sofer fan anyway, but I do see where she must have felt burned after the writing switch. The main problem was he didn't get the Quartermaines and Lois' main role was in contrast to them. He was lucky because the show was seen as too depressing during the last months of the Labines, and he had more action, so that meant he was seen as being an improvement. He left at just the right time. I wonder what it was that made him decide to limp back after a short time with SuBe.

• Members

i would have loved to have seen culliton stay on longer as HW of GH! he was more fitting than Guza imo anyway. if it came down to Culliton or Geary who did not get along, i would have chosen culliton a million times!!!

Archived