soaps that ended in a cliffhanger

• Members

I always thought AMC (and sadly now OLTL) were the only ones that ended with a cliff hanger but i was reading about Love of Live which started in 1950 ended in 1980 with a cliff-hanger. I guess a character named Betsey Crawford collapsed while leaving a witness stand in a trial and that's how it ended. No other networks picked it up (which i guess they hoped one would) and it remained unresolved. they were so sure another network would pick it up, it ended with the song "We'll be together again" by Tony Bennett.

Edge of Night also ended in a cliff hanger. it started in 1956 and ended in 1984. The reason for the cliffhanger was that Procter & Gamble believed that they could find another network to take over production of Edge, but in 1984, there were no cable networks willing to take on such an expensive endeavor.

I just hope One Life doesn't end too questionable for some of the important people. I wouldn't mind Todd going to jail but i would like Clint to choose Viki before the show goes off the air. and if Rex will realize he's seeing Gigi, not Stacy. Although i would like to have some things unresolved, it is a soap opera where anything can happen on any given week.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember hearing the real reason LOL ended on such a nothing cliffhanger was because CBS needed their studio to cover the 1980 Olympics and gave the show about 6 weeks to wrap up and get out, thus no time to rewrite stories or scripts.

• Members

I've heard that reason, too. At that point, LOL's ratings were so miserable, they didn't give a damn about satisfying viewers or leaving them with pleasant memories. (So those who might complain how ATWT or GL had ended, just remember, at least we got an ending.)

• Members

Which was crappy, if you ask me. CBS knew they weren't going to renew DALLAS. Ratings had become abysmal; plus, with DYNASTY gone already, and FALCON CREST and KNOTS LANDING also about to go, it was clear that era of the glitzy primetime soap was coming to an end. With all the big actor returns, the timing was perfect for a nice, big, splashy finish. Instead, we got a finale that was about as ludicrous as Bobby in the shower.

• Members

This is actually why I think the idea of SOME cliffhanger makes the most sense for a soap. Soaps as a format are continuously open ended. It doesn't sit right for me to imagine that suddenly , after 40+ years, everyone's problems are resolved and Oakdale/PineValley/wherever, is finally an actual quiet little town. I'd rather think of them going on with their constant problems and stories.

What WAS Dallas' finale?

• Members

JR was given a chance to see what life would have been like had he never existed by an angel (Joel Grey), who turned out to be the devil. The devil begged JR to kill himself... as Bobby got home and went upstairs we heard a gunshot, and Bobby walked in, went "Oh my God!"... and fade to black.

• Members

I think the retcon was that JR shot his reflection in the mirror.

Agreed. I prefer even now to think that Erica is scheming some way to get Jackson back, (not because she loves him but because nobody rejects Erica Kane) while Stuart is helping Adam get over JR's suicide.

Archived